Tach at right rpm?

hemz86

I just installed a 3 1/2 inch tachometer today in my 98 DX and was wondering why it does not register the correct rpm, it is saying that my car is idleing at 500 rpm that is def. not right. The rev limiter kicks in round 4000 on this tach. What is wrong?

I haven't done anything to the car yet i am just getting started but a dx should redline round 6800 or so i think, but like driving around on the highway at 75 or in 5th it reads like 1500 so i don't understand it. I wired it into the blue wire that is on the driver side of the engine compartment with the little rubber cap on it, it gets it power strait from the battery and is grounded and wired correctly for the lights.

My 98 DX idles at 500 so that sounds about right, but why not just switch out the gauge cluster from that of an EX? I did it and there was no problem. The DX is already wired to accept the EX cluster so there's no modification involved aside from adjusting the mileage to that of the original cluster. SSR, would you not agree that while there is no absolute need for a tach it is a helpful gauge to have in case certain problems arise in certain areas of the power band? Or to monitor transmission problems in general?

No I don't agree. You can tell if something is wrong and get close to the RPM by listening. Then if there is something wrong, see if it is throwing a code, if not then do what you need to to figure it out. A tach is useless on his car.

well after much research i finally found out what was wrong. Turns out the tach i bought was set for a V8 setup meaning that it thought my honda was a v8. I went in a fixed all the jumpers and it works fine. Thank you everyone for you ideas

Archived