intake install

scaryjello

Hey everyone,

I ordered a cheap intake on ebay just for laughs and when i went to install it, i noticed that there are a few things that im not sure if i can remove without throwing a check engine light. Near the distributor cap and the battery, there is a small black box with a throttle like opening. It has a little motor bolted to it and from the motor, there is a little vaccum hose that runs to that box. Also, that black reservoir on the bottom of the stock hose runs to this box. What is that box and that motor? I do not want to remove it and have a check engine light on. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

IMG00130.jpgIMG00132000.jpg

The green circle is the motor that i was talking about, sorry about the quality, the best my phone would take, but on the bottom of this there are like 3 hoses that run out of it and they all look like where the pink arrow is (which is also the black box). What is that motor? Can i just remove the whole thing without throwing a check engine light?

The picture on the bottom is another question i have. On the new intake, there are two ports near the throttle part. One is obvi the breather hose; however, the other i dont know. My guess is that the hose from the green arrow is suppose to connect to it. It seems to be connected to the green circle tho and i dont know what this is either. But does this piece go on the second port on the new intake system? Thankss

• 2 weeks later...

long story short, man, dont install the intake, for a few reasons.

1, it is probably a short ram, where the filter sits in the engine bay. this is a step down from the factory intake. it is sucking all that warm air, decreasing your mpg, and performance considerably.

2, it obviousley wasnt made for your specific car if it doesnt fit perfectly. if it doesnt have all of the male ends to put the breather hose onto then it wont work anyway.

3,dont, EVER, take out any part of your EVAP system for something like this.

my advice, save up, go to optionracing.com, and buy a full ram intake. they are like 50 bucks and all you have to do is take out the plastic old intake box in your fender.

good luck

long story short, man, dont install the intake, for a few reasons.

1, it is probably a short ram, where the filter sits in the engine bay. this is a step down from the factory intake. it is sucking all that warm air, decreasing your mpg, and performance considerably.

2, it obviousley wasnt made for your specific car if it doesnt fit perfectly. if it doesnt have all of the male ends to put the breather hose onto then it wont work anyway.

3,dont, EVER, take out any part of your EVAP system for something like this.

my advice, save up, go to optionracing.com, and buy a full ram intake. they are like 50 bucks and all you have to do is take out the plastic old intake box in your fender.

good luck

Actually warm air will improve mileage, sacrificing performance! :thumbsup:

http://www.injen.com/galleries/products/16..._directions.pdf

This seems to be the best install guide.

I already know about the short ram intake but its not really close to the block and its still only a 4 cylinder so it cant generate that much heat to suck in. I could understand if it was directly next to manifold cover like a toyota corolla has but its not, it sits right behind the passenger side headlight.

However, the EVAP thing is what im still worried about. Again, main concern here is throwing a check engine light. Just want to make sure i can remove these items and everything will be normal. Tell me what you guys think of this install guide. Also, my kit doesnt come with any vaccum caps, so im assuming black eletrical tape works fine too.

Archived