Sqeaking brakes.

XphoenixX

i had a topic about this a while ago but i lost it. My brakes squeak very badly and its not because of the rotors or pads. I remember someone said something about a product that is used to stop the sqeaking. Does anyone remember that?

it seriously sounds like metal on metal but i have a lot of pad left on my brakes. I never installed new ones.

well, did you change your brake pads and did you break them in properly? Did you brake hard during the first few hundred miles?

what kind of noise is it? metal on metal?

I dont think im using shims. I dont know what pads ihave either. I'm not into brakes as much as i am into engine knowledge and ive had my mechanic friend clean my brakes a couple times and they still squeak.

What exactly do shims do?

they are thin pieces of metal or rubber that go between the pads and rotors to prevent rattles or squeaking. might be in your interest to get some. they probably have some at your local napa or something, shouldnt be more than ten bucks

could be a combination of that or you just might hvae pads that squeal. i had some duralast pads on my car from autozone that had the right shims and grease and they had all kinds of advertisements about being quiet and low dust, they were the dustiest brakes i had and as soon as a little dust built up they would squeak. switched over to hawk hps street pads and they dust much less and i only get squeaks at low speed when they are cold.

Thanks. I just added a bunch of chemicals and i will update y'all with the result tomorrow.

(BG stop squeal, permatex disc brake quiet, and permatex anti-seize)<-----That's the "bunch of chemicals" i used.

=))))))

Archived