CRV wont start??!!! need assistance fast!

I cant figure this out, I was adjusting the distributor last night on the CRV while the car was idling and it came loose and the car died. So i put it back in but now the car just cranks and wont start?? The distributer only goes in one way so I'm baffeled as to what happened>>? Did I trip a fuse somewhere? any thoughts?

I cant figure this out, I was adjusting the distributor last night on the CRV while the car was idling and it came loose and the car died. So i put it back in but now the car just cranks and wont start?? The distributer only goes in one way so I'm baffeled as to what happened>>? Did I trip a fuse somewhere? any thoughts?

Check all your fuses first.

Check all your fuses first.

I did and I didnt see anything...my buddy thinks its the igniter so I guess we will take the distributer to autozone tomorrow...

I went ahead and bought a new ignitor because we are pretty sure thats what the cause of the problem is even though they really only go bad once maybe twice in a cars lifespan, but it has a lifetime warranty on it so I can return it when ever...I'll post up what the result is..

^I hope it works out :)

Thanks I wish it had, turns out that wasnt or at least didnt fix what my guess is, the quote "larger problem". The only thing we can think of now is the whole distributor is bad? yikes lol

So we replaced the whole distributor and finally got the car to start so some how the whole distributor went bad?? which is random! But now the car is running on 3 cylinders we checked to see if spark was coming to the #1 and it is. We swapped out the spark plugs on cylinders #1 and #2 and it was still sparking so we then unplugged the injector on cylinder 1 and it made no difference in how the car was missing. So our conclusion is that the injector is clogged or bad. The next thing were gonna do is replace the fuel filter (I have a high flow one that I purchased a while back that I just haven't put in yet) and then run 'Sea Foam' in the gas tank to clean everything out. Then of course I'll have to reset the timing (as much as possible) since I changed the distributor but there's no point in doing it right now since the car is running on 3 cylinders....

Question tho- Is there any other Honda motors that either use the same injectors or are compatible? I really don't want to have to drop money on one injector cuz they are fairly expensive...Also has anyone else ever had such random trouble with the B20?

my b20a dohc in my prelude has been acting up a smidge but nothing like that just having some idle issues with mine. but i would adjust your timing back to specs kuz it might of threw it off a bit when it killed your dist. also replacing it will throw it a bit but not to much. (make sure your #1 piston is at the top of the cylinder and not about to come down when u do to retime it and adjust the dist). Also run the seafoam threw your fuel vacuum line (TO ALL CYLINDERS) important that it goes to all of them. this will make it smoke for a lil bit but it will clear up after you drive it a bit. what it does is will clean thoughs injector ports alot better than going threw the gas tank plus it cleans all the carbon build up alot better... if that doesn't work i would take the valve cover off and check all the valve to see if there a lil loose (get a haynes or w/e manuel to make sure there all torqued to specs(will need a new valve gasket) if none of that works i would then check into the injectors and see if that works... if all fails and you cant fix it by any of what i wrote above i would then take it to a honda dealership and or a bad ass mechanic that wont charge an arm and leg to check your ecu's and your whole injection system. could just need to be cleaned out do to carbon build up. (ALSO YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHANGE YOUR PLUG WIRES as they could of gottin a little fried when your dist. went out... that's what i would do before you start buying injectors and taking it to a mechanic...

i hope any of this info is useful to you and good luck with thoughs gay series of bad events

my b20a dohc in my prelude has been acting up a smidge but nothing like that just having some idle issues with mine. but i would adjust your timing back to specs kuz it might of threw it off a bit when it killed your dist. also replacing it will throw it a bit but not to much. (make sure your #1 piston is at the top of the cylinder and not about to come down when u do to retime it and adjust the dist). Also run the seafoam threw your fuel vacuum line (TO ALL CYLINDERS) important that it goes to all of them. this will make it smoke for a lil bit but it will clear up after you drive it a bit. what it does is will clean thoughs injector ports alot better than going threw the gas tank plus it cleans all the carbon build up alot better... if that doesn't work i would take the valve cover off and check all the valve to see if there a lil loose (get a haynes or w/e manuel to make sure there all torqued to specs(will need a new valve gasket) if none of that works i would then check into the injectors and see if that works... if all fails and you cant fix it by any of what i wrote above i would then take it to a honda dealership and or a bad ass mechanic that wont charge an arm and leg to check your ecu's and your whole injection system. could just need to be cleaned out do to carbon build up. (ALSO YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHANGE YOUR PLUG WIRES as they could of gottin a little fried when your dist. went out... that's what i would do before you start buying injectors and taking it to a mechanic...

i hope any of this info is useful to you and good luck with thoughs gay series of bad events

-Have you ever heard any info about the "infamous" recall on our motors? I've found some research about it on some forums but Honda seems to deny that it existed...It has something to do with the Valve-Train...

-Also what year is your Prelude? In case I'm able to find the injectors used.

-What Vacuum line do you use when you 'Sea Foam' your engine? cuz I've done it before but could never get it to drip right with the AEM intake on so I ended up just using some very small universal vacuum line and dripping it right into the TB under the butterfly plate...and I take it 'seafoam-ing' the gas wouldnt blow out anything that might have clogged my injector ( it was my buddies suggestion to poor it in the tank)? The reason I ask is, I noticed yesterday that it appears to come on intermittently but with no real pattern and for the most part stays off, but, when it does come on its after 3 and a half grand minus the one or two times it comes on at what appears to be partially at idle...

-I wont rule out the plug wires but Ima cross my fingers that my after market ones didnt get fried! I'd be alil "urked" by that lol

Thank you for your suggestions/help I appreciate it, I used to be a pretty car savvy guy and before my really bad car accident a year ago that jacked my memory and my back up hardcore (which btw never drive your car if you even think there's a suspension problem it's not worth learning the lesson the hard way laying on pavement on the side of the interstate) I used to do everything minus Alignments or tire work myself but now I'm kinda limited to minor maintenance and I have to have allot of help from my friends, but, Honda motors aren't something I know a whole lot about in specifics other than the basic engine theory. But I'm humble enough to ask for help. Which I really like this forum btw everyone seems to be real chill with each other. Some forums I dont even bother posting cuz everyone just flames each other *shrugs*

i havnt heard anything about the recall on the b20a, as far as i no there damn near the same as the b18c just bored out a bit, and ppl run thoughs all the time.

i have an 89 2.0 si prelude, and i wouldnt rly use any kind of used injectors just bcuz you never no if there going to be any good or not. usaly if its to do with any motor parts i say buy new or reman. but if you can find a decent looking b20 motor at the junk yard or somthing like that its allways worth a shot if they dont work just take em back and try another set. ALSO NOTE running the b20a for a period of time when the timing is off a bit you could blow it up(only what a tech at a local tuner shop said, not sure if thats 100% true or not but, this shop is highly respected here). You can run the seafoam through the gas tank and it should clean them out but to get a solid clean to the injectors go through the vacuum and you can use the brake booster vacuum witch should go straight to the fi system, (DONT just run the seafoam right when you locate the hose, sure it does actualy go to the fi if so have the car at idle and take it off if it sucks the air thats the hose your looking for) dont use the whole can on the vacuum, use about 1/2 to 3/4 of it and then the rest of it put in your gas tank just to help clean out the fuel lines and filter coming off the tank...

i havnt heard anything about the recall on the b20a, as far as i no there damn near the same as the b18c just bored out a bit, and ppl run thoughs all the time.

i have an 89 2.0 si prelude, and i wouldnt rly use any kind of used injectors just bcuz you never no if there going to be any good or not. usaly if its to do with any motor parts i say buy new or reman. but if you can find a decent looking b20 motor at the junk yard or somthing like that its allways worth a shot if they dont work just take em back and try another set. ALSO NOTE running the b20a for a period of time when the timing is off a bit you could blow it up(only what a tech at a local tuner shop said, not sure if thats 100% true or not but, this shop is highly respected here). You can run the seafoam through the gas tank and it should clean them out but to get a solid clean to the injectors go through the vacuum and you can use the brake booster vacuum witch should go straight to the fi system, (DONT just run the seafoam right when you locate the hose, sure it does actualy go to the fi if so have the car at idle and take it off if it sucks the air thats the hose your looking for) dont use the whole can on the vacuum, use about 1/2 to 3/4 of it and then the rest of it put in your gas tank just to help clean out the fuel lines and filter coming off the tank...

Actually, the B20 in the Preludes is a predecessor to the current B series engines, and not really considered a B series engine at all.

Do you know what makes this particular motor more unsafe to run with the timing off over any other motor?

I did take your advice and I re-timed the engine and oddly enough the distributer is now almost in full advance to make the timing right...makes me wonder if the timing belt has ever been changed as it was supposed to have been back when my father drove the car...

Yeah I know getting electronic parts from a junkyard can be risky as you have no idea how long they have been there and what kind of conditions the car has seen while its been sitting there, but I've been lucky with the 40lbers I have running in my race car.

As far as the recall goes it's very interesting cuz like I said Honda denies it exists but I was initially turned on to it by a friend of mine who had similar problems with his CRV and that was eventually where the road took him. He said it was like pulling teeth to get Honda to honor the recall and fix his motor but if I remember right its something very odd in the Valve-Train that is the issue.

Actually, the B20 in the Preludes is a predecessor to the current B series engines, and not really considered a B series engine at all.

no i actually did not no that they werent a b series motor. so having said that what would they be considered?

Do you know what makes this particular motor more unsafe to run with the timing off over any other motor?

I did take your advice and I re-timed the engine and oddly enough the distributer is now almost in full advance to make the timing right...makes me wonder if the timing belt has ever been changed as it was supposed to have been back when my father drove the car...

Yeah I know getting electronic parts from a junkyard can be risky as you have no idea how long they have been there and what kind of conditions the car has seen while its been sitting there, but I've been lucky with the 40lbers I have running in my race car.

As far as the recall goes it's very interesting cuz like I said Honda denies it exists but I was initially turned on to it by a friend of mine who had similar problems with his CRV and that was eventually where the road took him. He said it was like pulling teeth to get Honda to honor the recall and fix his motor but if I remember right its something very odd in the Valve-Train that is the issue.

im not sure what makes them unsafe to run with an off timing. thats just what the tech told me, kuz i had thought my timing was off in my prelude, kuz it sounded like it was missfiring a bit but he said if my timing was off even the slighest i would prty much blow my motor up. so im not sure what makes them so different, maybe somthing internal with the cams or crank i dont know.

no i actually did not no that they werent a b series motor. so having said that what would they be considered?

Not sure really, and I can't seem to get Wikipedia to load to see. Just go to en.wikipedia.org and type in Honda engines.

You shouldn't drive with the timing off, because if it's too far advanced you could have detonation which is very bad for a motor.

As for timing the motor, you did disable the ECU timing advance before trying to set it...right?

• 10 years later...

by chance, did the distributor pop up when it moved?  I'm thinking the disti jumped a gear tooth or more.  This means you'll have a huge timing problem.  You'll have to do some digging to find how to find top dead center and how the disti must be oriented with respect to TDC.  Hope this helps.

Archived