Cold Air Intake

LTS

I've read that the whistle sound from the CAI is normal, however, I find it extremely annoying.

What can I do to silence it other than removing the CAI and going back to stock?

Thanks in advanced.

Turn the radio up.

true story!

if you think that the whistle from the CAI is annoying, you should never go boost! the spool will drive you nuts, especially if youre running high PSI

IMO i like the CAI/SRI whistle, and LOVE turbo spool!! spoolage sounds tits!

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll be going back to OEM. I love to growl it gives, but its simply not worth it to me.

Oh, and FWIW, it came with the car. I just bought a 93 Accord. I no longer have a 94.

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll be going back to OEM. I love to growl it gives, but its simply not worth it to me.

Oh, and FWIW, it came with the car. I just bought a 93 Accord. I no longer have a 94.

You downgraded? Why?

I sincerely hope it came with the original airbox and you are not spending any money to downgrade the car...

What brand intake is it? I found that my AEM intake is almost dead silent until I stomp it.. none of that whistle noise...

true story!

if you think that the whistle from the CAI is annoying, you should never go boost! the spool will drive you nuts, especially if youre running high PSI

IMO i like the CAI/SRI whistle, and LOVE turbo spool!! spoolage sounds tits!

Mine doesn't whistle, but you can tell it's spooling.

I sincerely hope it came with the original airbox and you are not spending any money to downgrade the car...

What brand intake is it? I found that my AEM intake is almost dead silent until I stomp it.. none of that whistle noise...

If it's a cheap intake, it will most likely make noise. As always, dollars=quality.

Mine doesn't whistle, but you can tell it's spooling.

If it's a cheap intake, it will most likely make noise. As always, dollars=quality.

The sound from an intake mostly comes from the filter. Different filter produce different sounds. Changing the filter will probably fix the problem. What type of filters sound like what I don't know, but a cheap filter may be louder and more annoying. My Apexi sounds beastly and more subtle, aggressive tone than the Blitz style stainless mesh filter I used to have.

it's real hard to mess up a single bend pipe. the only difference would be the actual filter

Yes and no. Low price=less QC. A bend could be slightly off, a weld in the wrong place and it would throw the whole geometry off.

agreed Kas, but im sure that the filter is the main contributing factor..

I expected more idle noise from my AEM when i bought it.. was pleasantly surprised to note that it isn't particularly loud unless I want it to be...

I guess its not the absolute best but it is good quality, and price is a good reflection of quality in this sort of case..

94VTEC Maybe try a new filter and see what you think.. if the apexi is that quiet, the Fujita is very similar but more affordable, I would def. look into it..

yea my AEM is oil-free (the way it should be) but there are limits as to what size filter can fit in these cars.. my 5" AEM was an exact fit..

i'll argue that an oil-free filter "is the way it should be" K&N oils their filters for a reason

Dont really want to threadjack, but why would you want an oiled filter when you can get a dry one with the same if not even more filtering capability.. this is just adding another risk factor to the equation when it comes to dirtying and fouling your MAF sensor..

I dont know about your car but was your original air filter oiled? I think not.. I would apply the same logic to a cone filer.. same theory different shape..

Also note that of all the major brands K + N (and those companies which purchase from K+N) use dry filters... Dont tell me injen uses wet because they are shifting their product range over to dry as well..

Its all a matter of oppinion after all though.. personal choice.. I just like the less labour and risk

• 2 weeks later...

Wow -- Love all the input.

The Accord we had before needed a suspension over hall. Plus, it was an automatic. I didn't have the money at the time to do the suspension replacement, so I sold it.

This one had it problems too. So far I've replaced 2 motor mounts, both axles, the ball joints. I probably still need to the Control Arms, lower and upper, but that can wait.

Anyways, back to the CAI -- I have no idea what kind/brand cheap/expensive it is. Here is a picture of it:

CAI.jpg

And here is a shot of it. Yes, it had a wing and it was removed. I'll be covering the holes soon, and getting rid of those nasty rims. I have a lot of work to do.

Accord.jpg

I googled it and now see the differences.

So if I just replace the filter, will the sound go away? What should I replace it with. The current one seems pretty dirty, so I'm looking to replace it.

Should I go with K&N?

firstly, I not THAT familiar with the 93 accord but I have to assume that underhood s similar to the 94-97 model.. I think that the intake you have there in all likelihood is costin you power as it has the filter positioned too close to the engine without any sort of protection and shielding. This creates the effect calld "heat soak" where the intake air gets heated before it huts the engine, thus losing power because hot air cannot be compressed as much as cold air.

Solutions to this problem will include, moving the filter further away, or out of the engine bay entirely (cold air intake), and also finding a way to insulate that chrome pipe.. Possibly high heat paint or wrapping it in AC line insulation?

On my accord, I went with a AEM short ram intake from www.prostreetonline.com http://www.prostreetonline.com/a/honda_aem...ram-intakes.asp (SRI's) http://www.prostreetonline.com/a/honda_aem...-air-intake.asp (CAI's)

there is a coupon code for 5% off somewhere online, just google it...

As discussed earlier you are free to choose whatever brand you like, but I personally prefer dry filters over filters that you have to oil, thus ruling out K + N from my purchasing equation.

Hope all this info helps.....

If you are not on a budget, and have $$ to spend, but an AEM v2 intake, its the best you can get. .also pay a bit of a premium for it..

Archived