brakes. we have a problem

well i went to DQ a bit ago and on the way back it smelled like my brakes were dragging. so when we got home the smell became stronger. so i went around and felt each wheel for some heat. the back left wheel seemed to be putting out a lot of heat. well my dad touched the lug nuts and got burnt...so we get to dive into that tomorrow :) he says wheel bearing or something like that. only problem is, the heat is only on the lug nuts. the wheel and rim are just fine.

-what u guys think?

Rear wheel bearings are not a very common failure item.

Frozen or dragging calipers, however, are common problems. Check to make sure the caliper is properly releasing and that the parking brake has not seized up on you.

It would make perfect sense for the lug nuts to be hot and not the wheel. Lugs are made of steel and so is much of the hub assembly. Steel absorbs heat readily, does not quickly transfer it between materials and also retains it for a long time once heated. Your wheel is made of aluminum alloy. Most heatsinks are made of aluminum because of it's quick dispersion properties but aluminum actually does not absorb heat very fast in relation to it's density. Your wheel represents a large quantity of material that quickly transfers heat evenly throughout the material and releases the heat quickly. Not to mention the separate spokes act like fan blades to further disperse the heat.

Rear wheel bearings are not a very common failure item.

Frozen or dragging calipers, however, are common problems. Check to make sure the caliper is properly releasing and that the parking brake has not seized up on you.

It would make perfect sense for the lug nuts to be hot and not the wheel. Lugs are made of steel and so is much of the hub assembly. Steel absorbs heat readily, does not quickly transfer it between materials and also retains it for a long time once heated. Your wheel is made of aluminum alloy. Most heatsinks are made of aluminum because of it's quick dispersion properties but aluminum actually does not absorb heat very fast in relation to it's density. Your wheel represents a large quantity of material that quickly transfers heat evenly throughout the material and releases the heat quickly. Not to mention the separate spokes act like fan blades to further disperse the heat.

well when we changed the brakes on the car that rotor and pad had drug at an angle. my cousing did not get the pads in correctly and drove it like that. so it gouged the rotor. most likely ill have to get a wheel bearing and rotor. and possibly another pad. we will check the calipers too. were gonan take it all apart then decided on what to do

ok heres an update/ one of the rotors are warped, bad. so i got a new rotor and caliper. it feels like the caliper is starting to drag, i went ahead and got some new pads too. so hopefully this fixes it. the wheel bearing seems fine, no grease leaking at all. the pad on the rear left set got so hot that the inner 1/4" of pad is red lol. ill get a pic if i can..welp im gonna go do that stuff now. ill post back with results

whos jason?

anyways we worked on it today and we got the caliper,pads, and rotor fixed. but now i have almost no brake pedal, all the pads are new and we bled every one of the brakes. farthest to the closest. but o well i still have brakes. well my car has been dying and refuses to idle sometimes. so i got curious and pulled the spark plugs. plugs 2,3,4 are 1.6 mm gap. its supposed to be 1.1, plug 1 is 1.7 and is red in color. its been running hot. so im going to get plugs tomorrow :) ill get a pic up of the pads from the left rear, they are red and white from getting so hot. the rotor is gouged bad too.

Archived