94 del sol stalling while driving

JAX724

I have read many other threads about this sort of thing happening a couple the same but not quite. So here is what is going on. I bought my daughter a del sol (stock), new plugs, distributor, battery. Ran great! Second day she had the car she comes home and says the windows wont roll up. I replace one of the fuses under the dash and it worked. One weird thing was the fuse I changed had a yellow wire going into the fuse? It has a stock Honda radio in it and I am sure the previous owner didnt listen to it as loud as my daughter was. Well then the previous owner called me and I mentioned blowing the fuse and he mentioned having some electrical issues with the car but believed he had got them all fixed.

Well then the next day (midnight) she called me and said the car just died while driving down the road. She explained to me like this. She said it felt like someone pulled the emergency brake on. When she looked at the dash she said the check engine light was on, she made sure the emergency brake was down and then the light went off and the car died. I drove to where she was and I got in and it turned over but would not start. The battery was strong and the lights were working so I cranked it over again and it was like my first car with a carb on it... so I pumped the gas 2 times and it turned right over.

I had her drive it to the mechanic and this morning took them the key and explained what happened. They had the car for 10 hrs and could not get it to stall again. Oh and the engine did not have any codes saved. So can the blown fuse and the stalling be caused by the same thing?

I was planning on changing the fuel filter. Then I read some where on here it might be the ICM or the coil, maybe even the fuel pump. Do you think the previous owner changing the distributor did something wrong?

It scares me having her drive this with it stalling, or her getting stranded on the road. Any help would be greatful, I am a single mom and dont want to just start replacing stuff!

Thanks

my first guess would have been a fuel problem but it wouldnt have stopped the way she described it..

other than a fuel issue i have no clue really.. im guessing it is an automatic?

my first guess would have been a fuel problem but it wouldnt have stopped the way she described it..

other than a fuel issue i have no clue really.. im guessing it is an automatic?

Yes automatic. I thought fuel too becuz as soon as I pumped the gas it started right off.

im not too sure if a tranny problem in an auto could cause the car to stall but that was also a thought.. either fuel or tranny problem if it was an automatic..

some more help should follow me soon enough..

• 4 weeks later...
Sounds Like me fuel filter is clogged. I would get a shop to look at the electrical issues tho. Cause that stuff can cause a fire.

ok we changed the fuel filter and it didn't stall for 3 weeks. Ok so my daughter calls me at midnight it just stalled again. The next morning went and drove it home maybe 10 miles and never stalled. So we changed the distributor, the car ran great for like 6 miles and then stalled going down the road. It started right back up but would stall in like 1/2 a mile, then it would get a block, then 12 feet now doesn't start at all. We towed it back home and the next day after sitting all night it starts right up but dies within 3 seconds. Then tried to start it didn't. The first time I started it you could hear the fuel pump prime, check engine light went off. Now fuel pump doesn't prime and check engine light stays on. We tested and we have spark to the distributor. So I thought maybe the main relay, went to honda got one and nothing no change! I towed it to a shop and they have had it for 2 days and now want to charge me by the hour now!!

Here is a list of things changed

distributor

main relay

fuel filter

plugs/wires

SO what could be causing there to be power all the way to the distributor and no sperk to the plugs? The ECM or ignition? BTW the car shop tested the distributor and it is working and getting spark. I'm at a loss... I would drive it off a cliff if it would run!!!

Yeesh... sounds like a bugged car from school.

If you have spark to and from the distributor, then either the spark plugs and/or wires are bad, or you don't have an ignition problem. Since you've replaced them, I don't think that's your problem. I'd check to make sure your ground wires are all tight, since that could possibly cause all of the problems you've been having. If that isn't the problem... Check the fuel pump I guess. I'll bring it up tomorrow in class and see if my professor has any ideas.

ok we changed the fuel filter and it didn't stall for 3 weeks. Ok so my daughter calls me at midnight it just stalled again. The next morning went and drove it home maybe 10 miles and never stalled. So we changed the distributor, the car ran great for like 6 miles and then stalled going down the road. It started right back up but would stall in like 1/2 a mile, then it would get a block, then 12 feet now doesn't start at all. We towed it back home and the next day after sitting all night it starts right up but dies within 3 seconds. Then tried to start it didn't. The first time I started it you could hear the fuel pump prime, check engine light went off. Now fuel pump doesn't prime and check engine light stays on. We tested and we have spark to the distributor. So I thought maybe the main relay, went to honda got one and nothing no change! I towed it to a shop and they have had it for 2 days and now want to charge me by the hour now!!

Here is a list of things changed

distributor

ill give you 500 for it lol

main relay

fuel filter

plugs/wires

SO what could be causing there to be power all the way to the distributor and no sperk to the plugs? The ECM or ignition? BTW the car shop tested the distributor and it is working and getting spark. I'm at a loss... I would drive it off a cliff if it would run!!!

I have read many other threads about this sort of thing happening a couple the same but not quite. So here is what is going on. I bought my daughter a del sol (stock), new plugs, distributor, battery. Ran great! Second day she had the car she comes home and says the windows wont roll up. I replace one of the fuses under the dash and it worked. One weird thing was the fuse I changed had a yellow wire going into the fuse? It has a stock Honda radio in it and I am sure the previous owner didnt listen to it as loud as my daughter was. Well then the previous owner called me and I mentioned blowing the fuse and he mentioned having some electrical issues with the car but believed he had got them all fixed.

Well then the next day (midnight) she called me and said the car just died while driving down the road. She explained to me like this. She said it felt like someone pulled the emergency brake on. When she looked at the dash she said the check engine light was on, she made sure the emergency brake was down and then the light went off and the car died. I drove to where she was and I got in and it turned over but would not start. The battery was strong and the lights were working so I cranked it over again and it was like my first car with a carb on it... so I pumped the gas 2 times and it turned right over.

I had her drive it to the mechanic and this morning took them the key and explained what happened. They had the car for 10 hrs and could not get it to stall again. Oh and the engine did not have any codes saved. So can the blown fuse and the stalling be caused by the same thing?

I was planning on changing the fuel filter. Then I read some where on here it might be the ICM or the coil, maybe even the fuel pump. Do you think the previous owner changing the distributor did something wrong?

It scares me having her drive this with it stalling, or her getting stranded on the road. Any help would be greatful, I am a single mom and dont want to just start replacing stuff!

Thanks

Sounds like a bad fuel pump, a good shop should be able to check the pump for pressure and flow. I would never pay a shop by the hour just to hunt and peck over my car in the hope that they would stumble over the problem. (Are you in Jax ,fl)

well we ended up taking it to the shop and it was short under the fuse box (under fuse 7.5) they said a wire looked like it was bunched up in a 'S' shape. Which we had pretty much figured out becuz if you lifted or even touched the fusebox cover the fuel pump would prime and the dizzy would spark! They rewired the plug under the hood so far it has worked. Has ran great ever since. We just installed a stereo and speakers and now the 7.5 fuse blew under the fuse hood? The stereo and dash clock both stop working.... so what caused that? Maybe I should bUy a new wiring harness? Im at a loss, was thinking of going to mexico but dont want my daughters car dying while we are out of the country. THIS CAR IS SO CUTE BUT A PAIN IN THE @SS!

well we ended up taking it to the shop and it was short under the fuse box (under fuse 7.5) they said a wire looked like it was bunched up in a 'S' shape. Which we had pretty much figured out becuz if you lifted or even touched the fusebox cover the fuel pump would prime and the dizzy would spark! They rewired the plug under the hood so far it has worked. Has ran great ever since. We just installed a stereo and speakers and now the 7.5 fuse blew under the fuse hood? The stereo and dash clock both stop working.... so what caused that? Maybe I should bUy a new wiring harness? Im at a loss, was thinking of going to mexico but dont want my daughters car dying while we are out of the country. THIS CAR IS SO CUTE BUT A PAIN IN THE @SS!

If it is a high wattage stereo it could of put out to much of a electrical draw on the fuse when she cranked up the tunes. Check the fuse rating for the stereo.

If it is a high wattage stereo it could of put out to much of a electrical draw on the fuse when she cranked up the tunes. Check the fuse rating for the stereo.

+1

The unfortunate thing with Sol's is most of the people selling them have abused them... It'll probably be a pain for a while, but in the end it'll be worth it.

Archived