89 Civic DX HB Won't Fire

compprat

So i just purchased this 1989 civic HB DX for 1400 bucks. Took it for a test drive, and it ran absolutely wonderful. No check engine light what so ever. So, I purchase the car, and head home.

As I was driving down 205, my check engine light turns on, and the car goes into limp mode (Loss of power)

It stays on for roughly 10 minutes, until I feel a quick jolt, and noticed the motor died.

I pull it over to the side of the road, and try starting it. Wont start, at all.

When I turn the key to start it, the starter works, everything works, it just won't fire.

Now as I try to start it, I hear slight popping in the muffler, It's like the car wants to start, but it can't. Sounds like it's not getting enough fuel or something.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Check for spark first to verify it is not firing. Don't rely on the sound. It sounds to me like the head gasket went based on your description, but proper diagnostics is required to determine what really happened. If you can determine it is firing then I would check the compression on each cylinder at TDC for each cylinder with 100 psi.

Check for spark. If you have none, it could be a few different things. From your description, it sounds more like a timing belt than a headgasket. Check to make sure the cam is turning.

Check for spark. If you have none, it could be a few different things. From your description, it sounds more like a timing belt than a headgasket. Check to make sure the cam is turning.

I agree first take off your valve cover and check for a broke cam or timing belt. I had that same problem and it was my timing belt.

Possible the t-belt jumped a tooth, but the lack of power leading up to the quick jolt is a common experience of people who blew the head gasket. All I can recommend is again check for spark, then check that the timing marks are on point, then start thinking about a compression test to see if the head gasket has failed.

It is possible it had jumped a tooth leading to the lack of power and that lasted for a while before the belt completely went.

I have a hot spark, and I get fuel. I tried spraying some starter fluid down the throat of the throttle body, and nothing happened. I have yet to try a compression test, but to me, it turns over pretty hard. I did check the timing ( Made sure the sprocket is at TDC, and I lined up the marks ) There are three lines, the first one being closest to the front of the car, then the middle one, then the last one. It seems its a 1/4 inch off, and that could be my issue. I heard there was a recall on these models, about how the tensioner will break, and cause it to skip a tooth.

Are there any guides out there on how to replace a timing belt on this motor? I already took the timing belt cover off.

Replaced timing belt, tensioner, and water pump. Still no fire. I even poored gas down the cylinders to see if it would at leaste backfire. Nothing happened, at all. Im stuck and have no clue at what I should do.

WHAT THE HELL!

::Update::

Checked compression, 120 - 120 - 120 - 120 accross the board.

I unbolted my exhaust thinking that something coulda plugged it up, nothing happens. In one of the cylinders it does backfire as im trying to start it.

Any help would be great guys,

Thanks

-Kyle

::Update::

Checked compression, 120 - 120 - 120 - 120 accross the board.

I unbolted my exhaust thinking that something coulda plugged it up, nothing happens. In one of the cylinders it does backfire as im trying to start it.

Any help would be great guys,

Thanks

-Kyle

This is rather dubious. I highly doubt you get a 120 across the board. 120 is a bit low for a 9:1 CR motor. How many cranks did you turn to build up pressure? Wet or dry test?

So it turns out it was either the Distributor wiring, the ECU, or the distributor itself. What I find funny is that I didn't throw any codes, I had spark, and I got fuel. I replaced the distributor, the distributor connectors, and the ECU. Bingo, it fired right up. Now I am having trouble passing DEQ in Oregon. My Carbons were around 7.000. Should I retard the timing?

So it turns out it was either the Distributor wiring, the ECU, or the distributor itself. What I find funny is that I didn't throw any codes, I had spark, and I got fuel. I replaced the distributor, the distributor connectors, and the ECU. Bingo, it fired right up. Now I am having trouble passing DEQ in Oregon. My Carbons were around 7.000. Should I retard the timing?

Won't help. With your compression and emission numbers, you're burning oil. Your rings are shot.

Archived