steering vibrates under heavy braking

nicolaselias

Hi everyone, my 97 (JDM) Accord EX has this problem that seems to slowly be getting worse.. it only really shows up at higher speeds because I guess the braking force required is much greater.

When it hit the brake pedal (either jam it or ease on it) i get some fairly heavy left right shaking of the steering wheel.. What do you think could be the cause of this one? My pads and shoes are in great condition, so I'm thinking maybe a slightly warped rotor somewhere? maybe some rubber or bushing that I am overlooking?

Thanks for the help

Can sometimes be caused by unevenly worn tires. Rarely a poor tire balance can make it do something similar. The warped rotors the other guys noted is the most likely cause though.

thanks for the quick reply people.. I suspect its rotors and not the tyres, they are in great condition and i had them alligned and balanced fairly frequently..

I bought new pads and shoes recently, just means i need to tack on the cost of rotors... I think i'm still running the original ones 13 yrs on

within reasonable priceranges, what would you reccomend? I'm partial to brembo, but dont konw if to justify the cost. Also, what about a set of drilled and or slotted rotors? worth the trouble?

Brembo rotors from NAPA are expensive. The price for two was more then what I got all four through mail order.

any site you would recommend for the brembos?

I will let my mech take a look at the rotors, I suspect it isnt so bad that they HAVE to be replaced but I will eventually have to do it. I was thinking of the possibility of machining the rotors just to even them up a bit..

Anyone know what brand the OEM Honda was?

Would the drilled brembos help stopping at all, or just diminish brake fade cause of better heat dissipation..

thanks

what i did was just search google until i found the best prices. i wouldnt worry about machining them, i would just get some new ones.

cross drilled will help braking but mostly used for autocross or agressive driving. if its just daily driven, blanks are fine.

If all you do is street driving drilled or slotted rotors will do nothing for you. As you pointed out, the ones on there have been on the car for a long time. Obviously, you do not eat up your brakes and have no need to change unless you want to spend more money on something.

Drilled rotors tend to make the rotors crack easily when street driving. Slotted is a better design if you were going to do anything on a street car.

Brembo blanks from your favorite online parts distributor is your best bet. I have a couple companies I have used many times but I have always purchased through directly emailing the supplier instead of buying through the website. importreplacementparts.com is where I got my rotors for the civic.

well I asked my dad about the rotors, (only got the car from him about 3 yrs back) and he claims that the rotors have already been machined "2 or 3 times" before.. I find this fairly hard to believe considering how little he tends to maintain and that the rotors are still usable after 13 yrs and 3 machinings...

considering that.. I figure it probably will make more sense just to replace.. does anyone know offhand how much rotors weigh because I will have to ship them internationally..

well I asked my dad about the rotors, (only got the car from him about 3 yrs back) and he claims that the rotors have already been machined "2 or 3 times" before.. I find this fairly hard to believe considering how little he tends to maintain and that the rotors are still usable after 13 yrs and 3 machinings...

considering that.. I figure it probably will make more sense just to replace.. does anyone know offhand how much rotors weigh because I will have to ship them internationally..

i dont think they will be any more than 5 lbs total

i dont think they will be any more than 5 lbs total

Umm, each rotor probably weight 10 lbs each. It is a giant chunk of steel we are talking about.

What country are you in?

8 months of the yr in the US (volvo s80) and 4 months in Trinidad and Tobago (JDM 97 Accord EX)\

Thanks for all the info.. i'll work on bringing some to trinidad next time i go

Archived