Stalls when hot and clutch to the floor

runningOnCitrus

I have a '98 1.6L standard civic that runs fine except for one problem. After driving long enough for the engine to get nice and toasty when I go to stop and put the clutch pedal to the floor the rpm just drops to zero. This also happens if I'm just sitting still in neutral when the engine is hot, if I press the clutch the car stalls. The rpm on startup is at 1.5 then drops to 1 shortly after but then it drops to .5 (I'm assuming that is normal) after about 3km. The rpm also "sometimes" fluctuates when I move the clutch pedal around, causing the engine to sometimes race or sputter... meaning if it doesn't stall when I release the clutch the rpm goes up to 1.5 then back to normal.

I recently replaced the clutch master cylinder and the thermostat, my girlfriends dad did the radiator after it blew up.

I know for a fact that the clutch is disengaging because if I sit in a parking lot and have the car in neutral I can hear the transmission spinning, and when I press the clutch it gets quiet.

It would be in a shop right now having pros look at it but this problem is like a haunting, it only happens when I'm alone or no one is looking so the guys at my local dealer said nothing was wrong... any ideas would be great.

your car is new enough that it has OBD2 so if its setting a code you can get it read. does your check engine light come on when it starts acting up? you might wanna get the codes read by somebody just to make sure its not setting a soft code because if it is than it won't set off your CEL.

No check engine light comes on and the only time its been happening lately is if I take my time with shifting on the highway, and not to eager on checking the codes at that speed. I finally found a mechanic who believes that civics can have problems and he said that its the main shaft bearing in the clutch thats showing signs of giving up.

Archived