Hey guys

Prangy

So it is coming to the end of college for the year and I am really looking into getting an exhaust for my 3.0 liter ranger. I have been doing some looking around and have found three possible companies and choices. The first is magnaflow, and it is 566 bucks and it is a straight exhaust, the pipes are straight at the end of the bed, now I did not ask yet but I am guessing that that would mean I would have to take my spare off, not sure on that though if anyone knows that would be great. Then, I found Gibson, and it was 365ish somewhere around there and the pipes bend behind the rear wheels. Last, is the cherry bomb vortex, which also bends behind the rear wheels for 399. All of them are free shipping. I have listened to all of them, and I thought the gibson did not sound bad actually, but does anyone know how they hold up. I am leaning away from the magnaflow. Any opinons would be great, I believe I made a post like this before, but now I actually did some research and think they all sound pretty nice.

Any steel exhaust is going to hold up about the same as any other: crapty.

Only exceptions are if you only drive long highway or only drive short hop, or if you live in a climate with no snow or perpetual freeze in the winter (states on the border like ohio freeze and rethaw every day so excessive salt is used, which hastens exhaust rusting)

Buy a muffler, take it to an exhaust shop, tell them what you want and have them do it for a fraction of the cost. I had mine done, with a new cat, from the header back for less than $200 including labor and material. The cat cost me $99 so its relatively cheap to do it, depending on the shop tho. Then you are open to getting pretty much any muffler you want instead of looking just for your application truck

just a thought tho :thumbsup:

Thanks Kast, so with that warrenty what does it actually mean? If it starts to rust out or starts to sound crapty? I would do would do that dohc, but I want to do it myself, its kind of just my project, I know its more money, but I have to keep myself busy haha. Kastrig what is IIRC. Thanks for the input so far, o kastrig do you know if I can keep the spare on with that.

Thanks Kast, so with that warrenty what does it actually mean? If it starts to rust out or starts to sound crapty? I would do would do that dohc, but I want to do it myself, its kind of just my project, I know its more money, but I have to keep myself busy haha. Kastrig what is IIRC. Thanks for the input so far, o kastrig do you know if I can keep the spare on with that.

Understandable :thumbsup:

As far as the warranty, i think if it developes defects over time they will replace it! ...it all depends on the type of warranty.

Now for the spare tire... you have a truck - throw it in the back :- haha

Haha ya i suppose I could do that, and the magnaflow I was looking at was stainless steel, while the two others are aluminized steel. So basically, aluminized steel rusts after some time right, I am not sure what that means exactly, ill look it up. Anyone know sound from in person, I would spend the extra 200 for the magna flow if anyone knows if it sounds better.

Thanks Kast, so with that warrenty what does it actually mean? If it starts to rust out or starts to sound crapty? I would do would do that dohc, but I want to do it myself, its kind of just my project, I know its more money, but I have to keep myself busy haha. Kastigir what is IIRC. Thanks for the input so far, o kastigir do you know if I can keep the spare on with that.

fixed :thumbsup:

ROFL at kastrig :laugh:

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly.

Stainless is stainless, aluminized steel is junk steel coated in an aluminum power, kind of like a powder coating. If you handle it some of the aluminum comes off on your hands and leaves a silvery mess on you.

-Stainless will oxidize and the welds will rust a little as there is some material in the welding on an exhaust that will rust, but it is minimal. The muffler will fail long before the housing or piping would be damaged. The car will likely die before you would ever need to replace a stainless exhaust.

-Aluminized steel will be rust resistant anywhere that the coating is unbroken. So the ends where it is welded will start to rust after a year or two. Since the material is 1/8 in think or so it does take a few years to rust through. The biggest problem with aluminized exhausts is from the inside though. The inside of the pipe is not coated. If you only drive short distances your exhaust does not build up enough heat to burn off the water vapor that has collected. This standing water will rust your exhaust from the inside out. Sometimes in as little as a year or two. If you live in a dry climate and drive long distances your factory exhaust may actually last forever.

I see, well I have been driving some long distances, I go to college now 200 miles from home, but in the summer I only drive like 5 miles at a time, but the engine heats up all the way at least. This is such a hard decision I hate buying exhaust ahahhaha.

http://www.magnaflowplus.com/ShowItem/1019...ndrel-Bent.aspx anyone ever hear these in person? I was looking for it online and youtube, but nothing. I can get it for 500 I gave them a call.

http://www.magnaflowplus.com/ShowItem/1019...ndrel-Bent.aspx anyone ever hear these in person? I was looking for it online and youtube, but nothing. I can get it for 500 I gave them a call.

Archived