some questions for a future build

ok im starting my build here soon so ive got some questions-

-engine is a stock d16z6, 157,000 miles. going to go with a turbo, 6-8 psi, no nitrous, shooting for ~220-250 hp on pump gas

-new head, should i go with the z6 or y8 head? i hear the y8 sets the compression too high for a turbo setup?

-short throw shifter-would it be useful over a stock shifter, what do they really do?

-cold air intake- should i get one that stays under the hood, or one that goes through the fender/wheel well and down behind the front bumper?

--what brand? aem/k&n/fujita?

rods-eagle h-beam rods

-ARP Head studs

-clutch-stage 2, 80% torque increase

-new tires lol

-suspension- do i need new stuff or is it necessary?

-exhaust-n1 style stainless steel exhaust system

am i forgetting anything?

**lastly. i know turbos are precise and sometimes delicate. do they need any special care? do you usually let your car warm up so the oil will flow before you get it spooling? if so how long?

-dave

why would you have a cold air intake?

suspension is great but not necessary...depends what you enjoy while driving (turbo = going fast; suspension = going through turns fast)

I vote custom exhaust, especially for a turbo setup. 3"

yeah you dont need an intake if youre getting a turbo.

dont waste your money on a short throw shifter.

as for exhaust, either get one custom like wbs said or get one that is atleast 2.5" minimum

ah cool thanks guys, i wasnt sure if the turbo kit came with one or not. i always see the piping in pics so it was an assumption. ill probably go ahead and get some front and rear control arms to start. the exhaust im getting is 2.5" so that would match up perfectly with the downpipe from the turbo :D

**ya know i thought i was on crack for a second...i couldnt get that damn bug off my screen, i soon realized that airjordan223 was a funny guy lol

Is the turbo water or just oil cooled? If it's only oil cooled, then you will need to cool it down before shutting off the car. You do this by sitting in your car for 30 seconds after a drive, or you buy a turbo timer.

Is the turbo water or just oil cooled? If it's only oil cooled, then you will need to cool it down before shutting off the car. You do this by sitting in your car for 30 seconds after a drive, or you buy a turbo timer.

hmm it doesnt really say. here is the link to it

System Components:

<LI>GO-AUTOWORKS Cast Iron Manifold

<LI>GO-AUTOWORKS SS 2.5" downpipe

<LI>GO-AUTOWORKS dumptube

<LI>Garrett T3 Super 60 .63 a/r turbocharger

<LI>Tial 38mm wastegate

<LI>Tial 50mm blow off valve

<LI>complete oiling kit

<LI>GO-AUTOWORKS tuner charge pipe kit

<LI>GO-AUTOWORKS bar & plate intercooler

<LI>(6) high quality silicone reinforced couplers

<LI>(12) stainless T bolt clamps

sometimes im an impatient person but if it is oil cooled im sure i can just get a timer to go along with it :D, what should i do if it is water cooled?

-am i supposed to start the car and let it warm up before i start to drive it?

If it's water cooled it is less necessary for it to need cooling after driving. As far as waiting to drive, start car, place in gear...drive. It really takes very little time for oil to make it to the turbo. The system is designed this way for a reason.

If it's water cooled it is less necessary for it to need cooling after driving. As far as waiting to drive, start car, place in gear...drive. It really takes very little time for oil to make it to the turbo. The system is designed this way for a reason.

thats good, i usually let my car idle for 30 sec to 1 min in the summer anyways. winter...well if its below freezing i let it idle for 10 min lol

-so which turbo do you advise using? which do youuse?

thats good, i usually let my car idle for 30 sec to 1 min in the summer anyways. winter...well if its below freezing i let it idle for 10 min lol

-so which turbo do you advise using? which do youuse?

Modern fuel injected vehicles do not need to be warmed up before driving, and it's probably bad for them to idle for too long. Do you mean which turbo, or what type of turbo? I have a Talon TSi.

Modern fuel injected vehicles do not need to be warmed up before driving, and it's probably bad for them to idle for too long. Do you mean which turbo, or what type of turbo? I have a Talon TSi.

what type of turbo do you use?...i got a buddy with a talon tsi, 450 AWHP, things nuts and eats transmissions like crazy, and now hes wanting 600hp lol....

Archived