88 accord questions Update*

04cobra

I just purchased a 88 honda accord lx with 262,000 miles on it. Seems to be running fine but i have a few questions.

1. Car idles decent by itself but when the ac or headlights are turned on i almost have to keep my foot slightly on the gas to keep it from cutting off. Could this be the battery? or the alt? it starts up fine and runs fine when going just the idle is a little wack at times.

2. When turning left or right at a low speed the car makes a popping noise maybe the joints?

3. the gas needle is broke lol. only info i could find was 15.9 gallon tank. How many miles can i expect to get out of a tank?

I dont know hardly anything about hondas any info would be great. Thanks in advance!

04 Mustang Cobra vert

88 Accord LX

I just purchased a 88 honda accord lx with 262,000 miles on it. Seems to be running fine but i have a few questions.

1. Car idles decent by itself but when the ac or headlights are turned on i almost have to keep my foot slightly on the gas to keep it from cutting off. Could this be the battery? or the alt? it starts up fine and runs fine when going just the idle is a little wack at times.

2. When turning left or right at a low speed the car makes a popping noise maybe the joints?

3. the gas needle is broke lol. only info i could find was 15.9 gallon tank. How many miles can i expect to get out of a tank?

I dont know hardly anything about hondas any info would be great. Thanks in advance!

04 Mustang Cobra vert

88 Accord LX

1. It could be those, but I'd clean the fuel injectors first. Autozone checks batteries and alternators for free though.

2. Raise the car, grab the wheel by the sides then top and botttom and jiggle back and forth to see if there's any play or noise.

3. That all depends on your gas mileage. Fill up completely, reset your tripometer, drive until for about a week (depending on how far you drive each day), top off again, and divide your tripometer mileage by the number of gallons it took to fill up, and that's your average mpg. Since it's about a 16 gallon, 3 of those are reserve. So, multiply your mpg by 13 or 14 and you'll have your average range for your tank.

04 Mustang Cobra vert

88 Accord LX

1. Try not putting your foot on the gas, and see what happens. Some drain on the engine is to be expected when using accessories.

2. Your CV joints are failing, they'll need replacing. Sooner rather than later.

3. 375 miles or so. Best bet would be to get it fixed though.

thanks for the replies.

as far as the problem with idle. lately the belt has been squeaking bad when i turn on the heat or ac. could a belt be causing my idle issue? i know it causes some drain when i turn on stuff but the idle drops to below 500rpms. i will also check the injectors when i am off this weekend.

Yea i figured it was the cv joints. is this something i can do with some friends or just take it in. how much am i looking to spend if i take it in?

thanks for the replies.

as far as the problem with idle. lately the belt has been squeaking bad when i turn on the heat or ac. could a belt be causing my idle issue? i know it causes some drain when i turn on stuff but the idle drops to below 500rpms. i will also check the injectors when i am off this weekend.

Yea i figured it was the cv joints. is this something i can do with some friends or just take it in. how much am i looking to spend if i take it in?

um yea u def need to replace ur cv joints thats wat i had to do with mine. the idle that most hondas that year make is the sensor going bad. When i fill it up i put 11 to 12 gal in it and itll fill it up.

1. 88 LX should have a CVCC carb. Your vaccum advance may be leaking. Check for vaccum leaks. You will hear a small hissing sound with the load on your motor. Check under the air filter box, it is made of pressed metal and over time can wear through the vaccum lines that sit beneath it.

• 2 weeks later...

so i took my car to about 3 shops for the idle problem and nobody could tell me anything. So i came back to the house and tried to listen for a hiss under the airbox like advised and i heard one luckily. So i finally located the hose that was leaking air and when i plugged it with my hand it idled fine. Hose #14 had a hole in it where it bends down and when i tried to pull it off lol the hose broke off at that point where the hole was. Luckily the hose was still long enough to attach it back. My next question is if i want to replace some of the hoses how do i get the metal airbox off? I was looking and could not locate a place to remove it. I am gonna buy some hoses and try to replace them myself if i can. Kinda pissed me off about the shops i told them i was advised it could be a hose and none of them found it lol.

As far as the popping sound when i turn i have not looked into that yet. If it is the cv joints would it be easier to replace the whole axle shaft?

so i took my car to about 3 shops for the idle problem and nobody could tell me anything. So i came back to the house and tried to listen for a hiss under the airbox like advised and i heard one luckily. So i finally located the hose that was leaking air and when i plugged it with my hand it idled fine. Hose #14 had a hole in it where it bends down and when i tried to pull it off lol the hose broke off at that point where the hole was. Luckily the hose was still long enough to attach it back. My next question is if i want to replace some of the hoses how do i get the metal airbox off? I was looking and could not locate a place to remove it. I am gonna buy some hoses and try to replace them myself if i can. Kinda pissed me off about the shops i told them i was advised it could be a hose and none of them found it lol.

As far as the popping sound when i turn i have not looked into that yet. If it is the cv joints would it be easier to replace the whole axle shaft?

Most shops have no clue on how to deal with a carbeurated vehicle. As for the axles, yes it is easier to replace the whole axle.

Archived