Superchip?

LuvMeMuch

• 2 weeks later...

if you feel like wasting money, go ahead, but I can assure you it won't do much at all, if anything. instead, buy a good header to open up your exhaust. if you don't have any major mods, a chip isn't really needed. yes, you have an intake and exhaust(assuming a cat-back exhaust), but the stock exhaust manifold is choking your whole system. after that, get a fuel pressure regulator and up the fuel a little bit(not too much). these two things will do more for your car than the chip will. if it's a chip that will give you a higher "redline", rev limiter, and fuel cut off, but you don't need any of those. your stock internals can only take so much, and with just I/H/E you're still making max horsepower before your stock redline, so it's pointless.

I hope this clears some stuff up. my last reply to this post wasn't to be mean and I apologize to anyone who thinks it was.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure?! My dad just recently got a 2003 Mercury Marauder and he put a Superchips MicroTuner on it.... He got a 37 HP gain and 50ft/lbs of torque! !!! He has the dyno to prove it! CRAZY! That's why I was wondering about the chip for my car.

Nicole :heart:

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't 20% horsepower on a V-Tech only about >40 hp? Am I mistaken in my math? After the frictional losses(ooh, especially dependant on the trans), would that equate to about 5- 10 h.p. @ sealevel (all your dad's dyno runs are corrected for sea level, aren't they Nicole?) Just wondering, because I have dyno'd v8's with chips, and found that driveline loss is HUGE! The engines see the h.p. gain but it gets taken back( for the most part), by driveline. Maybe front drivers are different, but it would seem to be principally the same. Maybe I think too much! I prefer to upgrade the hard parts and reprog. the soft ones to deal with it. But that's just me.:)

Joey

If you have a VTEC the only thing that would be really good for your car in a computer kind of way would be a piggy back system or like a VTEC controller. Screw all that chip bullcrap! There's little you can do with a chip. However, with a whole piggy back system you can get programs to totally fool your ecu and set about everything to what you want it to be at for the kind of performance you want for your car. If you get a chip and you keep doing crap to your car you may end up having to have a chip reburned several times. As far as a plug and play system no matter what you do to your car you can tell it what you want each part to do.

So in short in my opinion some kind of engine managment system would be better worth the extra money!!!

Archived