Do you think a new engine is necessary?

Hi everyone,

Today I went to do inspections on my 2003 Honda CRV and while the mechanic was working on it, I heard him saying to the other mechanic that the engine of the car was bad. So I asked them if they were talking about my car. Then he started asking me about the tapping on the engine. I told him that the tapping was going on for 2 or 3 years now. He said that the lifters of the engine are bad and if I am going to change the lifters, just might as well change the engine since the car has 150,000 miles on it already.

I bought the car brand new in 2003 and yes I have put a lot of mileage on it because I used to drive far for work. The car has never given me trouble and I usually take it for the regular oil change and maintenance. The mechanic said that he can get me an engine with 47,000 miles for $1,000 and do the labor for $700. Should I just keep driving the car for a while and see how it does and maybe do that later in the year? What do you make of this? Does it sound right? I'd really appreciate some advice. Thank you.

Sounds like that mechanic is just trying to rip you off. Engines will make noises. Valves tap, injectors tick. Most of them are normal and nothing to worry about. However, if it gets excessive and very loud, then you may have some mechanical problems. If your CRV runs and drives fine, I wouldn't be concerned. But if it really concerns you, take it to another shop for a second opinion.

Second opinions from a reputable shop are always a good idea if you are not car savvy.

Adjusting the valve lash on a honda engine is a periodic maintenance item (which is what sounds like you are describing). See if you can find a trustworthy service shop that will do that work for you. It is not an extensive repair and should cost you no where close to $1700, more like $200-400 or so.

Another thing to think about: If the engine actually is failing but it is still getting around town for you why bother replacing it? Drive it until it dies and eek every last mile out of it. Someday it may leave you stuck in the walmart parking lot but that day may be 4 years from now.

Archived