91 idle problems not a noob question already looked at forums and cant

wingstealer

my 91 accord lx has this weird and yet ever annoying problem when i first start the car it goes to 3k and doesnt want to come down i tried everything IACV, FTIV, reseting the ecu unplugging the IACV ajusting the idle screw everything the book says i have done but it doesnt go down

the only time i can see results is if i unplug the IACV and leave it unplugged it dropes to 2k and surges to 2.2k to 1.8k never ever goes down to the recommended 700-800 idle rpms never

• 2 weeks later...

i have an 88 accord wen i first turn it on it does the same thing, now its carborated so idk how dats gona affect u since i doubt urs is carborated. What i do to get rid of it is tap the gas pedal and most of the time it will go down or i can just pop it into drive and tap the pedal a lil and itll go away.

i have an 88 accord wen i first turn it on it does the same thing, now its carborated so idk how dats gona affect u since i doubt urs is carborated. What i do to get rid of it is tap the gas pedal and most of the time it will go down or i can just pop it into drive and tap the pedal a lil and itll go away.

You need a vaccum pump with gauge. Pull your fast Idle Thermo Valve and measure the vaccum there. Pull the vaccum advance off the distributor and see if idle responds correctly to applied vaccum.

Above all, check for vaccum leaks. Remember, that air filter holder has pressed metal at the bottom and can, over time, rub through some of the vaccum lines that are beneath it.

• 2 weeks later...

im not sure if this would help but if u have a throttle position sensor check that out cause i have a ford windstar and it went out and caused the same problems so try checkin that and no one on this post mentioned it so it either dont have one or they over looked it....hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
my 91 accord lx has this weird and yet ever annoying problem when i first start the car it goes to 3k and doesnt want to come down i tried everything IACV, FTIV, reseting the ecu unplugging the IACV ajusting the idle screw everything the book says i have done but it doesnt go down

the only time i can see results is if i unplug the IACV and leave it unplugged it dropes to 2k and surges to 2.2k to 1.8k never ever goes down to the recommended 700-800 idle rpms never

try disconnecting your tps sensor and then starting you car, the sensor could be bad or the plug could be bad...give this a shot

Archived