PRELUDE WONT STAY RUNNING

91PreludeSI

I RECENTLY PUT IN A NEW CLUTCH AND THE PROBLEM FIRST STARTED WHEN I WOULD GIVE IT GAS AND TRY N PUNCH IT THE PRELUDE WOULD BOG DOWN AND ALMOST DIE THEN A DAY LATER IT WOULD START DYING NOW IT WONT STAY RUNNING IF IT EVEN STARTS SOMETIMES

MY MAIN RELAY IS BUZZING

AND WHATS THE PART BY THE DISTRIBUTOR THATS ON THE SECOND CAM? PLEASE HELP.

Without a picture I would guess that the "part" by the cam is a cam sensor. As far as the PGM-FI main relay buzzing, just replace it. With a car your age there is no question it is worth replacing whether it fixes the problem or not. They go bad over time anyway AND WILL CAUSE YOUR CAR NOT TO START.

As far as other potential issues, a vac line could have been disturbed when doing your clutch, your could have a bad coil or a weak tach signal (bad ignitor). More details are better when asking questions. There are several knowledgable people that post on this site, but we are not miracle workers. There are so many things that could casue your issue it is not funny. On top of the things above, check for proper grounding, bad battery cables, etc. etc. I assume it does not run because you don't have proper spark, but have you checked for that yet? Could it be a fuel delivery issue? Have you checked for pressure at the fuel rail?

Post back with your findings.

• 3 weeks later...
I RECENTLY PUT IN A NEW CLUTCH AND THE PROBLEM FIRST STARTED WHEN I WOULD GIVE IT GAS AND TRY N PUNCH IT THE PRELUDE WOULD BOG DOWN AND ALMOST DIE THEN A DAY LATER IT WOULD START DYING NOW IT WONT STAY RUNNING IF IT EVEN STARTS SOMETIMES

MY MAIN RELAY IS BUZZING

AND WHATS THE PART BY THE DISTRIBUTOR THATS ON THE SECOND CAM? PLEASE HELP.

It sounds like your main relay went bad. It's under the steering wheel, pretty easy to fine. Most preludes have this problem or have had this problem at one time. Buy a new main relay they're not that expensive 30-40 bucks maybe. The part on the second cam is your vtec solenoid. I highly doubt that has anything to do with your problem. All that controls is when your rocker arms lock together to ride on the high cam profile above 5200 rpms. It runs off oil pressure and if your oil light is on or flashing it's not the cause of your car dying.

OK I FINALLY GOT THE PRELUDE TO RUN FIRST MY STARTER CABLE WAS LOOSE ON THE GROUND SIDE, THEN I REPLACED MY MAIN RELAY AND EXTERNAL COIL AND PLUGS AND ITS RUNNING PRETTY GOOD. THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE POINTS OF INTEREST, NOW I HAVE OTHER PROBLEMS I HAVE A BATTERY LIGHT THAT WAS ON WHEN I BOUGHT THE CAR AND IS STILL ON TO THIS DAY I HAVE NO CODES FROM MY ECU AND HAVE A BRAND NEW BATTERY THE CAR ALWAYS STARTS LIKE A CHAMP SO I DONT KNOW WHY THE LIGHT WOULD BE ON?? ALSO WHEN IM CRUISING AND I LET OFF THE GAS I HEAR LIKE A CLICKING/RATTLING NOISE MAYBE FROM MY TRANNY AREA BUT I JUST PUT A NEW CLUTCH AND AXLE BUT THE MOUNTS IN FRONT AND REAR ARE BAD SO WHAT DO YOU THINK??>

• 2 weeks later...

Alright my car started to run really good after i did some tuning up, then i pulled off the fuel preasure reg and put it back on now my car wont rev past like 5000 rpm and when i try to reverse it almost dies and there is just alot off bogging down could it be that its not getting fuel or something ?

Archived