Engine/Fuel issue

Sedare

Plain and simple, I accelerate, friendly on the accelerator, and 1st gear is ok till about 5k rpm and it just simply loses a large portion of power, you know like imagine turning on 25 different AC buttons going on at the same time. Yeah power loss. 2nd gear is worse, exactly at 3.4k rpm it just self-hinder, and starts to drag hard. Power just disappears. 3rd and higher are all bad no matter the RPM.

Now, I have the check engine light, and the code point to the Fuel to lean/rich error.

My friend had suggested that this was Oxygen Sensor, but I dont know how to troubleshoot cars like I can computers, so I just basicly need someone to point me in the right direction and ill be golden.

Sounds like o2 sensor to me, because of the varying power.

Otherwise, check your air filter, and fuel injectors....

I used some injector cleaner when the problem had barely started and it helped for a short time but it just kept getting worse and worse.

At times when im starting from a stop, in first gear... if i dont over rev the motor when i start into first gear, it acts like I droped the clutch with no power, and it just jolts the car... but it does this tons. Like its flooded or its not getting gas at all it just hesitates horribly.

I would start by doing some diagnostics before replacing parts. Start by checking the fuel pressure, if it is too high replace the fuel filter if it too low you can check the fuel pump, feed lines and filter. If that checks out OK then look for vacuum leaks at the PCV valve and hose, EVAP canister purge valve, throttle body, intake manifold, air intake duct, and brake booster assemblies. It could also be the engine coolant temperature sensor is bad and many other items (see below)

Bottom line you should start with fuel delivery. I would then be looking at TPS as the potantial criminal (they wont always throw a code), and then emissions (O2 sensor), MAP sensor, VTEC control solenoid, VTEC control pressure switch, etc. though based on your description VTEC issuses are probably not the cause.

Your code should be a P0171 or a P0172 for fuel system too rich or to lean. Did you pull the code manually for the 45? The reality on your generation Accord I have done TPS and MAPs on them and very seldom fuel filters with a scattered amount of O2 issues.

You know as I think about it there is also the remote chance that your exhaust is partially clogged and creating too much back pressure under load.

Basically I hope that it is something as simple as your O2 sensor, but you should be aware that there are a lot of things that can potentially cause that code. Just some information for you to ponder over.

I would start by doing some diagnostics before replacing parts. Start by checking the fuel pressure, if it is too high replace the fuel filter if it too low you can check the fuel pump, feed lines and filter. If that checks out OK then look for vacuum leaks at the PCV valve and hose, EVAP canister purge valve, throttle body, intake manifold, air intake duct, and brake booster assemblies. It could also be the engine coolant temperature sensor is bad and many other items (see below)

Bottom line you should start with fuel delivery. I would then be looking at TPS as the potantial criminal (they wont always throw a code), and then emissions (O2 sensor), MAP sensor, VTEC control solenoid, VTEC control pressure switch, etc. though based on your description VTEC issuses are probably not the cause.

Your code should be a P0171 or a P0172 for fuel system too rich or to lean. Did you pull the code manually for the 45? The reality on your generation Accord I have done TPS and MAPs on them and very seldom fuel filters with a scattered amount of O2 issues.

You know as I think about it there is also the remote chance that your exhaust is partially clogged and creating too much back pressure under load.

Basically I hope that it is something as simple as your O2 sensor, but you should be aware that there are a lot of things that can potentially cause that code. Just some information for you to ponder over.

This is exactly what I was looking for.

Even if its all a bit to late, since I am in the middle of filing for bankruptcy, and the car goes with it. But that is still a few months down the road :p. Besides, I love working on cars and figuring them out :D

Ill check back if one of those worked, or wasnt any.

*edit*

Btw yes I pulled the code manually with a paper clip :p

• 3 weeks later...

Our car is doing the same thing...gonna go to Auto Zone and see if we get the same code....I have a diagnostics code off the Mac Tools Scanner and Gensis Scanner and it came up as { PO401 }>>>>>any suggestions for this???? :crazy:

• 3 months later...
Our car is doing the same thing...gonna go to Auto Zone and see if we get the same code....I have a diagnostics code off the Mac Tools Scanner and Gensis Scanner and it came up as { PO401 }>>>>>any suggestions for this???? :crazy:

I still havent fixed this, but its getting worse. I have issues starting in first gear without burning the clutch because there is just no power anymore. I usually stall the car once a day with the AC on, and I only stop 6 times round trip to work. No ideas yet.

Archived