Trans ?

i have a hydraulic b16 trans in my car and the 5th gear is out. wondering will a cabled gsr trans 5th gear go right it. or can i change the whole guts out. are the shafts different.

A cabled trans won't work, unless you convert it. Which I wouldn't understand anyone doing if it's a good hydro trans. The guts should be swappable. SSR would know more about it than I.

That's weird....I thought B16 tranny's were cable and GSR tranny's were hydraulic. At least, that's the way my B16 Del Sol and 00 GSR were.

Probably depends upon the year of the B16. Anything post 95 should be hydro.

5th gear is out for a reason. If it grinds you need to replace the 5/R hub/slider assembly. If it pops out, replace the synchro spring or the trans is likely toast from running low on fluid.

But yes, the B17 5th is a straight swap. Don't change the shafts unless you can reshim the mainshaft and diff.

how do i get a hold of SSR. and it feels like it goes into fith but it just revs up and when i push on it grinds. other then that the trans is good and works fine i just dont want to go back to a cable so i was wondering if i could swap 5th out of a cable into a hydro to save me money since i have the trans laying around and it would be a loner 5th then the b16 which would be nice for highway use

how do i get a hold of SSR. and it feels like it goes into fith but it just revs up and when i push on it grinds. other then that the trans is good and works fine i just dont want to go back to a cable so i was wondering if i could swap 5th out of a cable into a hydro to save me money since i have the trans laying around and it would be a loner 5th then the b16 which would be nice for highway use

Yea, the guts don't care if it's cable or hydraulic. As for contacting SSR, look at the post right above yours.

what about changing the houseing of the gsr and b16 are the shafts different, fatter or longer. cause it would just be easier to do that then take the guts out

Changing the case IS changing the shafts. Mainshaft and diff have to be reshimmed.

You need to replace the 5/R hub/slider set AND mainshaft 5th gear.

Do you know how to shim the mainshaft and diff? If so, do you have the $140 worth of tools to shim the mainshaft? If the answer is no to either, take it to someone who knows how to do so and can do so.

Listen to SSR!!!!!!!

I've learned if you don't know how to do something, or don't have the required tools, its a whole lot easier to pay someone to do it. It will save you a major headache in the long run. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and I don't even f*&k with transmissions. Yet. :)

oh no worries ive got plenty of mechanics that will help me out and it wont cost me anything and ive taken a few trans classes and know what it takes

• 2 weeks later...

Archived