Dies when come to stop

amatuerbeerguy

New to forum. Search through a bit could not find anything to help. I have a 1987 CRX HF with California emissions. OK now what I have done. New carb, fuel pump (manual), new plugs, wires, rotor, dist cap. Valve cover gasket, intake manifold gasket. Changed many, many vacuum line hoses. Changed fuel filters, by tank and carb.

What is does is. Dies when I come to a stop, when it is warmed up. Normal driving, no hard stops, fast acceleration/decel. Most of time it starts right back up. I think there is a vacuum leak, as does a friend of mine. Have taken to several Honda Speciality shops, and a couple dealerships, and just regular shops. No one can find leak. I have sprayed, starter fluid around the engine compartment. With no success. Besides stopping, and erractic idle. I can cover carb top, and car smoothens out, runs great. Open carb top, runs rough.

Any suggestions, and help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Did this happen before you did all the work? Why did you replaced the carbeurator ? Honda carb. are a pain in the butt to adjust.Try and pinching off the PCV valve hose? See if that does anything?

Yes it is reason I did all the work. Besides tune up. Will try pinching PCV hose. Changed carb, because thought was the problem. Carb was factory adjusted, still had problem. And Honda dealership, and specialty shops. Both adjusted, and claim to be correct. Will look into adjusting myself again. Will post results.

Idle Speed Control. Used on mid to late 80s carbed vehicles. Controls the throttle at idle. If they go bad, you can get anything from a high idle, surging idle, won't idle. It's a long shot, but thought I should at least ask.

Idle Speed Control. Used on mid to late 80s carbed vehicles. Controls the throttle at idle. If they go bad, you can get anything from a high idle, surging idle, won't idle. It's a long shot, but thought I should at least ask.

That sounds familiar let me research. have Factory repair manual and haynes. Will get back to you on that.

I had similar problem but it was for an 89 crx HF with A/T .In park or neutral it would idle fin.But when you put it in gear,the car starts to idle rough .Honda had a service bulletin on this.Turned out that the Torque was causing it .One of the shift solenoids was shorted out.We changed the transmission and the problem went away.

I had similar problem but it was for an 89 crx HF with A/T .In park or neutral it would idle fin.But when you put it in gear,the car starts to idle rough .Honda had a service bulletin on this.Turned out that the Torque was causing it .One of the shift solenoids was shorted out.We changed the transmission and the problem went away.

Thanks for info. Yet mine is 5 speed, and when in nuetral and warmed up idle it dies. But will look at that also. May be similar problem.

Would Idle Control Solenoid Valve be what you are hinting at.Kastigir

Possibly, I have no idea what it would be called. Different manufacturers, have different names, for the same thing oftentimes. I would just check and see if you have a little electric motor on or around the carb, that appears to be connected to any kind of throttle cable.

Possibly, I have no idea what it would be called. Different manufacturers, have different names, for the same thing oftentimes. I would just check and see if you have a little electric motor on or around the carb, that appears to be connected to any kind of throttle cable.

Checked, nothing like that. The previous Item mentioned is in a box with some other controller items. Going through all of them.

Also, checked PCV, works like manual says should. I even got the one dollar part to replace. Thinking going to be easy, I was wrong.

Checking fuel/air mixture, check throttle cable for proper deflection it is good. Found couple lines off intake manifold on underside, that looked like leaking oil snugged them up. So far has not died yet. But have not taken on commute to work yet where the problem usually occurs.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Archived