Struts

hxone

For your front strut tower I would suggest a del Sol VTEC/ITR bar or whatever stock Honda bar would fit on your Civic (prolly one from an Si). What you don't want is a bar that has pivot points or is made out of aluminum. One piece, steel is the best way to go. Same goes for the back, one without pivot points and goes straight across.

This is the front strut bar I'm getting...not sure about the rear yet.

5272.jpg

I use to think its okay to get only a strut tower bar (strut is the front...sways are rears?) for cars that are fwd but i was wrong. a lot of people just get the struts, which is fine but you wont get the FULL effect compared to having the sways to compliment it. oh and you'll notice a better difference if your car was dropped.

as for brands, i dont know. neuspeed? cusco? dc sports?

Hmmm...strut bars prevent flex, while sways prevent roll. Both have applications up front and rear. So theoretically speaking you can have a billion bars as part of your suspension setup. But like always, too much of a good thing is actually bad. Especially when your whole lower rear ends up tearing off the subframe...

you can put strut tower bars and sway bars on the front, and the rear.

strut tower bars connect the top of the shocks. sway bars connect the lower control arms. strut bars on top, sway bars on bottom.

you will have more fun with sway bars than strut bars. most strut bars are for show and you wont feel a difference unless you are driving extremely hard. you can feel sway bars if you are going around a turn at 10 mph or 100. but get both the front and rear sway bars at the same time.

i've heard that the rear strut bar makes more of a difference than the front sturt bar...as far as actually feeling it goes. but if you do end up getting strut/sway bars make sure you get both the front and the rear at the same time like jdmjackass said...he should know, he races these cars at a road course!

yeah, rear sway bars make more of a difference in terms of what you can feel... because it takes away all of the understeer, and depending on how tight you set the bar you will have excessive oversteer. i like that setup for auto cross (i take off my front sway bar) because im able to swing the car around tight turns. but on higher speed road courses it is dangerous, and the oversteer will slow you down. definitally buy both front and back at the same time. if you can't afford it, buy the front first. understeer is safer than oversteer.

Should you install forward and rear struts or just the forward which would be the best for better control. As well what would be best struts to by for my 99 civic hx alien

If you are staying stock then you can replace front or rear, all 4 at the same time is the best idea. For aftermarket you will want to replace all 4 at the same time. KYB, KONI, Tokico are a good brands.

FWD drive cars benefit more from a rear sway bars, opposite for RWD.

Archived