A couple d series questions.

I am going to the extreme with the building of the d series. I am going to pick the block and such. Right now the block is a d16z6 obd1. so would it be better to use a d16y8 head since it has better flow and such. That is what I head. I am planning on turbo'ing the motor for sure. I want 400 hp as a ultimate goal but if not 300 would be plenty.

I am also getting a si tranny. now should I use a si tranny for a full turbo build cause? The short gears would be great but are they too short? or should I use a economy tranny like one off a d15b7 since the gears are longer and I can hold boost longer.

nothing wrong with the d-series. im a fan of that little motor myself.... well to make your goal of 300-400hp, you would need to reinforce the block. budget setup would be a block guard, bore and hone with forged pistons and rods. As far as the head goes the d16z6 head is a lot better in flow than the d16y8 stock for stock. only advantage i see with the d16y8 head is the square chamber which increases compression. You would also need to port the head and get a good valvetrain and a turbo cam would help. Turbo wise you will need to run a t3/t4 at about 20psi depending on how effcient the turbo setup is (manifold, piping, intercooler, etc) Also a big plenum short runner intake manifold. You would need to invest quite a bit of money to get the little motor to go but a lot of respect comes with it.

Z6 head. Doesn't flow much better stock, but it uses tumble ports versus swirl, and has better port geometry.

Si or EX trans, doesn't matter which. Only difference is 5th. Both have long gears, a little longer than an LS. Best bet would be EX/Si with a 4.7 FD.

Z6 head. Doesn't flow much better stock, but it uses tumble ports versus swirl, and has better port geometry.

Si or EX trans, doesn't matter which. Only difference is 5th. Both have long gears, a little longer than an LS. Best bet would be EX/Si with a 4.7 FD.

yep listen to him^^

I have a GT28RS turbo kit I am selling that made 300hp on my Y8 if your interested.

the z6 head does flow a little better about 5cfms average to be exact across the .050-.450 lift. I agree with the better port geometry.

Archived