power steering leak?

shes got heart

Put fluid in, if empty. Have someone (or yourself) turn the wheel side to side, with the car idling, while someone else (or yourself, but you can't do both :p) checks for the leak.

My car is extremely hard to turn and we added power steering fluid and that helped for one day... the next day it had completely leaked out. What do I need to fix this?

Can you see where the puddles are under car? Might be steering rack! >_<

yes, it may be your rack & pinion, if it's leaking from the scrunchy boot down by your wheel that's probably what it is, if not then it may be a hose. iunno if any of the stuff works but try some Lucas products for rack and pinion treatment or power steering stop leak stuff

yes, it may be your rack & pinion, if it's leaking from the scrunchy boot down by your wheel that's probably what it is, if not then it may be a hose. iunno if any of the stuff works but try some Lucas products for rack and pinion treatment or power steering stop leak stuff

It does. Claims it can stop any leak in 2 bottles, or your money back. Since adding the second bottle, I've not had to refill in over a year.

EDIT: The Lucas stuff that is. The rest don't do crap IMO.

I don't know where it's leaking I just know that all of the power steering fluid had drained by the next day. I'll try the lucas stuff til I can take it to the shop. But I have bigger fish to fry with this car.

I don't know where it's leaking I just know that all of the power steering fluid had drained by the next day. I'll try the lucas stuff til I can take it to the shop. But I have bigger fish to fry with this car.

Basically here is the deal. Fill the resivoir, drive the car (try for 10 to 15 miles). Remove the resivoir cap (should be red) and look inside (might want a flash light). Does it look frothy, like a tan bubbly frothy mix? If yes, you are in the 90+ percentile the rack is leaking. If the pump is leaking you should see fluids all around and under the pump. The only other cause for leaking that much fluid may be the high pressure line from the pump to the rack might be leaking. It is rather unlikely that you would loose that much fluid on low pressure return side.

Assuming the rack seals are leaking, you may want to look at finding a used rack from a salvage yard. Remanufactured aftermarket racks do not last. Most times a low mileage used Honda rack is the best option over a reman. aftermarket one. Honda reman. racks are good, but you will pay the pipper.

You should be looking at the price of the rack plus fluids plus about 3.5 hours for installation.

Good luck.

Remanufactured aftermarket racks do not last.

You never said anything about remanufactured aftermarket racks not lasting when we were talking about my power steering rack! See below. Remember, I was deciding between remanufacturing it myself ($86) and buying a remanfactured rack online($215)? This was all on top of having a leaking high pressure hose.

I decided that I would use mine until the fluid loss got as bad as what the OP is describing (hard to turn, loosing lots of fluid), which gives me about another 3-4 years.

From what you're saying, I should shell out the extra ~$100 to get the Honda remanufactured rack ($310), right?

To the OP, even with all my problems, I don't loose anywhere as much fluid as you are loosing. My res. drops about an inch per year.

Honda007.jpg

You never said anything about remanufactured aftermarket racks not lasting when we were talking about my power steering rack! See below. Remember, I was deciding between remanufacturing it myself ($86) and buying a remanfactured rack online($215)? This was all on top of having a leaking high pressure hose.

I decided that I would use mine until the fluid loss got as bad as what the OP is describing (hard to turn, loosing lots of fluid), which gives me about another 3-4 years.

From what you're saying, I should shell out the extra ~$100 to get the Honda remanufactured rack ($310), right?

To the OP, even with all my problems, I don't loose anywhere as much fluid as you are loosing. My res. drops about an inch per year.

Honda007.jpg

I remember your P/S issue. I thoughout you were set on rebuild it yourself. Furthermore, with your knowledge I simply assumed that you would figure out that 1. most any over the counter rebuild will never compete with a Honda reman. 2. that being said since the system runs at 1,700 psi. who would you trust rebuilding it. Personally, if you are not in need of the car for a short period of time, for youself, I would think that rebuilding it would be the way to go. Infact, if you got in there and it was only the seal on the box, then you would only theroretically have to replace that and not the end seals.

I remember your P/S issue. I thoughout you were set on rebuild it yourself. Furthermore, with your knowledge I simply assumed that you would figure out that 1. most any over the counter rebuild will never compete with a Honda reman. 2. that being said since the system runs at 1,700 psi. who would you trust rebuilding it. Personally, if you are not in need of the car for a short period of time, for youself, I would think that rebuilding it would be the way to go. Infact, if you got in there and it was only the seal on the box, then you would only theroretically have to replace that and not the end seals.

Not true. You can buy Honda certified remans from the dealer.

Well, I was really nervous about doing the rebuild myself, I was not confident I could get the rack apart. I have decided that if I still want to rebuild when the time comes, I will go to the salvage yard, pull a Honda Accord steering rack out and rip it apart in the salvage yard as a learning exercise. I have done this before on other parts of the car, they look at me funny when I walk out 4 hours later, filthy and empty handed.

Not true. You can buy Honda certified remans from the dealer.

Your haven't been paying attention, this was mentioned already.

Archived