Engine problems

Orca89

So... my engine seems to be malfunctioning or something. Sometimes it works fine, but more often it acts horribly. When it isn't working, it shudders under any acceleration, and idles at 200-300 rpm. I did a little cleaning up of the engine bay yesterday, and that's when it got bad, but it's acted up like this a time or two before. Another problem that might be related to this is my cooling fans aren't running. Fuse looks fine, but I'm missing my fuse puller so I can't pull it out to take a close look. Any ideas?

You should be able to pull the fuses out with your fingers. If not just use some needle nose pliers. I just got a cooling problem fixed as well, but mine was because the harness wire had broken.

Have you checked your plugs/wires/cap/rotor yet?

You should be able to pull the fuses out with your fingers. If not just use some needle nose pliers. I just got a cooling problem fixed as well, but mine was because the harness wire had broken.

Have you checked your plugs/wires/cap/rotor yet?

I looked through, but I don't really know what I'm looking at yet, Newbie to cars and all that. Far as I can tell all the wiring is in order. I'll see if my electrician buddy can take a look at it sometime today. I'll also check the spark plugs when I get home. (Yay Art History class... *snore*)

Ha ha, believe me I know what you're talking about in regards to art history. I had to endure that for my design major *blech*

An electrician isn't really what I would recommend. While he may know electrical in a general sense, knowing electrical, specifically ignition, in a car is a little different. You need to check your plug condition for any tell-tale signs and the gap to make sure it's firing correctly. Make sure your cap and rotor contacts aren't all oxidized or burnt. Make sure the wires aren't brittle and/or cracked and that they're making good contact with the plugs. And when you're doing that make sure they get rerouted correctly or you'll end up with another problem.

Ha ha, believe me I know what you're talking about in regards to art history. I had to endure that for my design major *blech*

An electrician isn't really what I would recommend. While he may know electrical in a general sense, knowing electrical, specifically ignition, in a car is a little different. You need to check your plug condition for any tell-tale signs and the gap to make sure it's firing correctly. Make sure your cap and rotor contacts aren't all oxidized or burnt. Make sure the wires aren't brittle and/or cracked and that they're making good contact with the plugs. And when you're doing that make sure they get rerouted correctly or you'll end up with another problem.

He also knows a fair bit about cars. He's the one who helped me with those Energy Suspension Rear Trailing Arm Bushings... *shudders* He works on cars as a hobby. He's the guy everyone goes to when they have car trouble.

Anyway, I'll go over the wires again.. not that I'm likely to notice anything that isn't blatantly obvious. I'm thinking I'll go through and rewire the whole thing one piece at a time when I can afford it... Try and get a green version of "My Sold Sol"

Oh, somewhat off topic, but anyone know what the redline for a D16A is?

sounds like u got water in your distributor if it sounds like it wants to just cut off

That would make sense... it seems to have more trouble when on an upward incline... water sloshing around perhaps?

He also knows a fair bit about cars. He's the one who helped me with those Energy Suspension Rear Trailing Arm Bushings... *shudders* He works on cars as a hobby. He's the guy everyone goes to when they have car trouble.

Anyway, I'll go over the wires again.. not that I'm likely to notice anything that isn't blatantly obvious. I'm thinking I'll go through and rewire the whole thing one piece at a time when I can afford it... Try and get a green version of "My Sold Sol"

Oh, somewhat off topic, but anyone know what the redline for a D16A is?

That would make sense... it seems to have more trouble when on an upward incline... water sloshing around perhaps?

Buy new gasket at dealer for $3.50 for distributer! :thumbsup:

Buy new gasket at dealer for $3.50 for distributer! :thumbsup:

Soon as I sell my rims, haha. And get the bloody thing off... rusted screws FTL... Working on my car sucks, because just about every bloody bolt and screw is seized...

Yeah, it does sound like you got some water either in your spark plug holes or in your dizzy. Did you tape off the distributor and intake when you cleaned under there? I also try to tape off the alternator but that might just be me since I'm sure water gets kicked up in there when I'm driving in the rain all the time...

The other thing you may have done if you were scrubbing in the vicinity of it (though I admit you'd have to be scrubbing kinda hard) is turned the screw that controls your idle. That's up on your intake manifold. Tighten that up if there's no water anywhere. But the water is by far more likely.

Also, different D series engines have different redlines. From memory of the cars I've owned or my friends have owned that have them: D16Z6s redline at 7200, D16A1s at 7000, and D15B7s at 6400. So it's not really a hard and fast rule that all D series engines redline at 6500.

I was just doing a half hearted cleaning job, pretty much just sprayed the bay itself and the valve cover, did my best to avoid anything else. Anyway, looks like the problem is one of the wires...

P1000379.jpg

Ok, just got back, checked at the Dealership, a new wire would be $20, and they'd have to order it. Good news though, the guy told me how to fix mine :thumbsup: And I just finished. Runs like a champ now. The metal clip came off and was stuck in the distributor. I pulled that out with needlenose, pulled the cable through the distributor cap, then realized I had to put it back through, and cut some insulation off because the actual wire got pulled down into it >_< . But I got it back through with the help of some WD-40, put the clip back on, popped it in, and I'm firing on all 4 cylinders again. Moral of the story, make friends at the dealership, and it's not a stealership. I also now know where to go get the dent fixed. Life is looking up again... now I just need to find a frigging job.

Archived