new gauge cluster

JDMEkHatchy

so i have a 98 civic dx and it doesnt have an RPM's gauge.. i dont want to get a ricey side gauge so i was thinking of maybe getting a gauge cluster of an SI.. problem is.. im not sure if i have to do extra work or something on the wiring.. will it fit perfectly? and if it does will all the gauges work correctly?? :help:

WAIT!!!

I've done that gauge swap. I put an ex gauge cluster with a tach in a dx that originally didn't have one and it was plug and play. it was on a 92-95 body style though.

oh really?? im gonna try one of an EX first.. i can find one at the junkyard for like 10 bucks... if it works ill keep it for now... and when i get a swap.. ill get the SI one the thing i dislike about gauge swapping.. is you dont get to see your original mileage anymore... do you?

it's tricky but it can be done with patience. i did it once on my RX-7 back in like 98 or something. took me a couple of hours but it worked :)

dam.. so it also requires lots and lots of patience...

something i dont have... im like a kid with ADD on crack!!!

ill try it though.. im sure ill be able to do it if i try it :laugh:

These guys are all either wrong or half wrong:

As long as you stick to the same generation all gauge clusters for your car are fully interchangeable. Unplug your old and plug in a new. Absolutely no wiring or anything will need to be messed with. You can buy them on eBay for prices from $50-$100 on any given day - don't pay attention to the replacements number of miles. When you get the replacement undo the four screws holding in the speedometer and switch the new one with your old. This way your car will legally retain the correct odometer reading. After you have the new one in for a few weeks and it works fine sell your dx cluster on eBay for $20 to get some of your money back. :p

thank you xeryon. you just said everything I was about to say. :thumbsup:

If you try to roll back your odometer you will just F**k it up, and then you won't have any odometer or speedometer.

I tried with a junk gauge cluster to figure out how to roll it back, but hours later I just got pissed off and ended up throwing it against the wall, so don't even think of touching those numbers just chance the whole speedo gauge itself.

and listen to xeryon. :thumbsup:

As long as you stick to the same generation all gauge clusters for your car are fully interchangeable. Unplug your old and plug in a new. Absolutely no wiring or anything will need to be messed with. You can buy them on eBay for prices from $50-$100 on any given day - don't pay attention to the replacements number of miles. When you get the replacement undo the four screws holding in the speedometer and switch the new one with your old. This way your car will legally retain the correct odometer reading. After you have the new one in for a few weeks and it works fine sell your dx cluster on eBay for $20 to get some of your money back. :p

ooooooooh......... alright haha!

so i guess ill do it this way! thx a lot :D

Then explain why a 88-91 CRX cluster, wouldn't work in my 91 Civic Hatch?

Because the cluster and wiring is different in a CRX than in a Civic. Use the same model and generation, not just the same generation.

Generally speaking sol only fits sol, crx only fits crx and civic only fits civic. There were a few exceptions, like CRG7 noted, with the crx though.

Archived