tires

C92hatchX

i can get two brand new snow tires for 20 bucks, but they are 185/65/r14 will they work?, and im aware that they are 14's and ill be having 13's on the back unless i can find other 14s, but itll raise up the front so i wont be plowing snow so i guess thats good, im only running them till winter is over

It'll look goofy as hell, but it shouldn't be a problem mechanically. Your handling will alter and most likely suffer for it though especially combining studded with studless.

Well, you are probably right on that. Never thought about it since I have never heard of anyone using anything other then metal studs.

I still stand by his winter tires are probably normal tires with just a winter tread pattern.

Unless you get tons of ice, which Ohio does not, then studs are fairly useless. A good set of winter rubber would be a good investment. Personally, I'd either change to 14s all around, or pick up some 13" winter tires. Honestly, unless you really suck at driving, all seasons will get you through most everything.

Kastigar, there is a MASSIVE difference between Cincy and the south Eire shore. I know, I grew up right on the lake in North-Central OH. In the Cleveland area they measure snow by the feet and the next day the temp is 45, the next they get another two feet of snow. The ice is ridiculous. Every single day you get the melt and refreeze for three months in a row. Totally blows.

Do a comparison here: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Nice little applet that will tell you exactly what the difference between your current and the new tires are. You may be surprised...

Archived