REV Limit and Turbo

MarineSniper217

Hey, I was watching some videos on YouTube about turboed D16s, almost all of them would tap out before shifting. I have a D15B7 motor, how long can that stay maxed out before blowing? I have had it to 7.5K on the road before it started misfiring, when not in a gear, how long can it sty there?.

Also, does anyone know where to get a FULL turbo kit for a D15/D16 Civic? I know alot come with the basics, but only one has all the fuel management too.

Thanks

not long lol.throw boost at it and u will snap ur lil toothpick rods very soon.i wouldnt even take that crap past like 6800-7000.dont know much about dseries but im sure ur not making power that high unless ur built

they're on the rev limiter because they suck at driving ;)

there are many D's that will make power above 7200 but you need to upgrade your valve springs and some lighter retainers to handle the higher revs.

a lil suggestion build the turbo kit yourself. itll be a whole lot cheaper and better! tune with crome, neptune, ectune, or hondata. stay away from fmu's and hacks

Well yea, I know the rods are the worst ever, but once I get the turbo im getting Eagle rods to go with it, I have seen a B16a1 in a Teg blow out a 2"x2" hole in the block at 14psi, thats the first extra mod lol. I can go to 300hp off the stock valvetrain, running about 13psi of boost, (looked it up in several Honda specific books related to the D series). But im lookin for a full pre-assembled kit, I dont want to have to run all over getting nuts and bolts and fittings.

Im just curious of the rev end, there is no limiter because it cuts out/mis fires, it dosent stop. I have an Explorer the just sits at 6k varying up and down a little. Would that be the end of my RPM range? 7.5k?

And the D series is actually good at power, if I had about 6 grand I could take my car up against a Teg that hits 10.5s on the quarter. Its about what and how you modify.

Yea, im on there too lol. I been looking through a few pages, but im new at that one.

Apparently a D16 with Eagle rods and new pistons on 17psi can run 12s?... Thats what the drag time stuff says atleast...if so im swappin up to that!

Yea, im on there too lol. I been looking through a few pages, but im new at that one.

Apparently a D16 with Eagle rods and new pistons on 17psi can run 12s?... Thats what the drag time stuff says atleast...if so im swappin up to that!

psi means nothing. its the turbo. but yea look at running a holset on a built block and youll perform prety well on the drag strip.

so a rev limiter with fuel cut would cut fuel to the engine but what does ignition do? also if your tires were spinning wouldnt it be faster to hit the rev limiter once then let off and do it again before shifting otherwise when you shift the RPMs will go way down cause you are not actually going that fast the tires were just spinning? i may very well be completely wrong i am just wondering

so a rev limiter with fuel cut would cut fuel to the engine but what does ignition do? also if your tires were spinning wouldnt it be faster to hit the rev limiter once then let off and do it again before shifting otherwise when you shift the RPMs will go way down cause you are not actually going that fast the tires were just spinning? i may very well be completely wrong i am just wondering

play the clutch and throttle so the tires dont spin.i suggest a gear/boost limiter in order to get off the line easier. ectune has this feature.

Fuel cut on a boosted engine = hot lean = boom. Ignition cut does that so the engine still has fuel and stays cool.

It is fine to bounce it off the limiter while spinning. Traction control is better though.

you mean you actually got that motor to spin that fast!!!! :o

thats pretty high considering the limiter on my b7 is 6500 and im running a hondata s300.

the tuning shop said I should just leave the limiter at stock until i build the motor so I did.

Archived