Need advice on 1989 Honda Civic purchase

DebZ

We are going to look at a 1989 Honda Civic that is on Ebay and ends tonight. It appears extremely clean from the pictures. Our 16 year old son would like to have something a little cooler than the 87 Reliant that would be his wheels, and I have to admit, it is a little embarrassing to be driving it around, although it has been a good car.

My husband and I owned a Honda Civic wagon (1977) and absolutely loved that car.

Any advice on price for a clean 1989 with 72ooo miles would be appreciated. What should we look for for potential problems, even if it appears clean? Is it easy to change mileage on these vehicles, and should we be worried about that. If you want to look it up on ebay and let me know what you think, that would certainly be appreciated. It is listed in the Pittsburgh area, and currently is listed at 1500 dollars. It sold for 2350 two weeks ago, but the dealer said the buyer was a no show, so he relisted.

Would you consider this a good (is it at all cool?) car for a teenager (and parents) to own and possibly take to college?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me before 5 pm Eastern time today.

Sorry if I seem ignorant about Hondas, but it has been 20 years since we owned one.

Deb Z

go to Kelly Blue Book and look up it's value. Then go to Carfax to get a check on th VIN number. You have to pay, I don't know how much but don't believe the free preview screen that pops up. It'll say it found something wrong, that's just a way to get your money but anyways. Look up the value and then go to Carfax and run a check on the VIN number. It'll tell you everything about the car!

As far as changing miles. I don't really know I don't do that stuff so I couldn't tell you....

Would you consider this a good (is it at all cool?) car for a teenager (and parents) to own and possibly take to college?

yeah.. its a good car for teenagers when beginning to drive, even though theres alot you can do to make it cooler besides putting a body kit or so many modifcations.. i say let him drive it til he has a job and has his own money to buy what he wants..

it'd be a nice first car for a teenager learning to drive. if he messes up and hits something with it (i've messed up twice in my civic and its relatively cheap repairs) then it won't kill you to fix it. he can do some things to make it cooler, or he can get a job and save up so he can get something else.

only thing i can think of to tell you to watch out for would be the miles. its a 14 year old car with 72,000 miles...so watch out cause the dealership may have rolled back the odometer. run a carfax!!!

Thank you all for the help. I did run a carfax. The car was in a collision in 94, but has been renewed by the same person ever since, then sold at auction a few months ago. So we will look closely at the body, but it sure looks ok on the pictures posted. It is a DX model.

There are no apparent problems with the mileage from what I can tell on the carfax.

Also, I did look up the blue book and it looks like we have a good idea of a price range now, too.

If you all have any other suggestions, I will be checking back again later. Thanks again for the help.

Deb Z

Archived