A little question about paint.

jerrodh

I wont be having my del Sol painted till next spring but just kind of looking at what I'll have to spend when it comes time. But I know absolutly nothing about paint when dealing with automobiles so I dont know whats good and whats not and for how much. I found this website and they "appear" to have some reasonably priced services. What do you think? Any sugguestions to national or ohio based paint shops?

I'm just looking to repaint my Del Sol the OEM black color.

http://www.earlscheib.com/index.php

LMAO After I read the testimonials I was kind of like oh crap what I'd get myself into. *Fail*

Whats a good one then cause I got no idea.

Just start going to some local bodyshops. You'll probably find some good deals, and get high quality work.

Yeah I probably will or more or less talk to the local tuners and ask about bodyshops that do some good work that way I get some neutral opions. My big problem is I dont know what to look for.

I work in a body shop for classics we all use house of kolour( ithink its spelt that way) and / or ppg paint. tey have some crazy colours. not sure what your into. the coulor my friend is paintg his car is 700 bucks for a quart. so.. think about what you want to spend. as far as who to paint it. to be honesed i did better work in my garage then some high time paint booths.. so its more of who you know who knows some one.. if that helped. idk but there you go. n maco can do decent work you just have to push them. but if you go to places who are stickly body work. best place to get it done. in my eyes.

Yeah I probably will or more or less talk to the local tuners and ask about bodyshops that do some good work that way I get some neutral opions. My big problem is I dont know what to look for.

I take my cars to the alexander ford dealership but i have alot of connects out there because my step dad worked there for 4 years in the body shop but he had to quit due to panic attacks from the fumes of paint... ill never go to maaco, id rather buy my own paint at walmart and do it that way, lol

::EDIT:: i would get it done right and pay big money the first time rather than do it cheap and have to do it again a little later on down the road... but whatever you choose i hope it turns out good :thumbsup:

What kind of paint job do you want though? Like a new cover paint or is there some rust or things that need fixed under it. If it's rust and needs some minor body work just spend like 4,000 and get a nice paint job. Sand it down to the metal or fiberglass. Then prime it, paint it, and clearcoat clearcoat clearcoat!!! A nice paint job always depends on how many layers are put on the more the better. Clearcoat makes whatever color you put under it look glassy and smooth. The less coats the more dull it'll look. When you get multiple layers of clear you get nice highlights.

My advice decide if it needs bodywork then find a nice color (House of Kolour very good choice Bivic) lay it on. If you can make sure they wet sand all layers. Some people skip wet sanding cause they claim the paint won't get orange peel *bullcrap* I wet sand everything and it makes for such a better finish.

ahh wet sand.. its a bitch but in the end its wayyyyyyyy much cleaner.. after prime hit it with 400 wet.. keep that 45.. after paint nail it with 3 step wet sand again n buff it out nice.. 1000. 1500 then the finall 2000 all wet sand. buff it n polish an your golden.. takes time, but do it right (or let them do it) an youll have a very nice paint job.. just a thought.. how we do it at the resto., n on our cars.. also. on hte primer.(if u wet sand it) lightly throw on the under coat crap. this way when u sand its sure to be stright n smoothe. let us know.

Archived