engine help

chucky98

ok i got the 1994 acura integra ls obviously 1.8 dohc

it needed a water pump so i had the water pump replaced and timing reset with a new belt and so on they say they got the whole thing back togetherand when they started it it was pushing fluid back out the radiator i am not sure what they ment by that course i am 1 hour and a half away form the vehicle is there any thing someone can tell me to help me figure out what is wrong with the car

thank you

Victor

ok i talked to a local mechanic and he said i might wanna try burping the car something about since the water pump went out air got in there and i need to burp it out somehow any ideas on this theory

When the coolant was refilled, they should've released the bleeder screw in order to purge the air from the system. Who the hell worked on your car? If I were you I wouldn't let them do it again.

ok where is the bleeder screw so i can do this myself and get it done they are trying to tell me that i need a new engine that the head gasket is blown

ok where is the bleeder screw so i can do this myself and get it done they are trying to tell me that i need a new engine that the head gasket is blown

The bleeder screw is on the thermostat housing. Just turn it a few turns, then fill with coolant. Once coolant starts flowing out, the air is purged from the system. As for the headgasket issue, check the oil to see if it's milky.

ok i loosened the bleeder screw and for a few min it was purging fluid but after it purged a few it just went to air any other ideas or could my radiator be clogged or maybe something else any other ideas oh and it is boiling the coolant in the reservior so what could that mean

ok i loosened the bleeder screw and for a few min it was purging fluid but after it purged a few it just went to air any other ideas or could my radiator be clogged or maybe something else any other ideas oh and it is boiling the coolant in the reservior so what could that mean

Did you pour coolant in while the screw was loosened? That's the point, you tighten the screw back down once coolant is flowing out to insure that the air is purged. If you let it drain until nothing was coming out you kind of defeated the purpose of doing it in the first place. Also, if it's boiling coolant it's getting too hot. You either have a bad thermostat, bad water pump, or a clogged radiator.

Did you pour coolant in while the screw was loosened? That's the point, you tighten the screw back down once coolant is flowing out to insure that the air is purged. If you let it drain until nothing was coming out you kind of defeated the purpose of doing it in the first place. Also, if it's boiling coolant it's getting too hot. You either have a bad thermostat, bad water pump, or a clogged radiator.

yes i did but there was never a constant flow it was kinda squirt stop squirt stop i got some radiator flush stuff now and then i am gonne try and flush the system i hope it is not a bad water pump that was alot of work

yes i did but there was never a constant flow it was kinda squirt stop squirt stop i got some radiator flush stuff now and then i am gonne try and flush the system i hope it is not a bad water pump that was alot of work

The point of the exercise is to pour coolant in with the screw loosened until there is a steady flow of coolant, then close it. I wouldn't waste time flushing the system until you're sure it's full in the first place.

The point of the exercise is to pour coolant in with the screw loosened until there is a steady flow of coolant, then close it. I wouldn't waste time flushing the system until you're sure it's full in the first place.

ok i understand that part i am trying to make sure there is flow b/c i cant get a flow coming out of the purge valve what otehr problems could cause this it seems as if everything is being pushed back into the radiator and not going through the engine i am not sure if that means the water pump that was put on the car is bad or if there is another reason that could be causeing this

and thank you for all your help

ok i got the 1994 acura integra ls obviously 1.8 dohc

it needed a water pump so i had the water pump replaced and timing reset with a new belt and so on they say they got the whole thing back togetherand when they started it it was pushing fluid back out the radiator i am not sure what they ment by that course i am 1 hour and a half away form the vehicle is there any thing someone can tell me to help me figure out what is wrong with the car

thank you

Victor

What I am about to mention is based on the assumption that the T-belt job was done correctly with "good" parts, including the water pump. If you are getting fluid pushed back into the resivoir, more often then not with Honda's that is the warning sign the the head gasket is failing. When the fire ring on the gasket is burnt out the compression of the engine will force exhaust back into the coolant system. With exhaust in the system the coolant has to go some place to off-set the input of the exhaust, that is where the coolant resivoir comes in. It is the path of least resistant. Typically on Hondas when ta head gasket begins to fail they do not burn oil or coolant, instead exhaust is pumped into the coolant. As the gasket continues to fail that is where oil burning and coolant buring begins (this is where most average non-mechanics begin to notice they have a problem with their car).

What I would do is bleed the system completely, remove fluid from the resivoir down to the full mark, run the car and see if it fills to the top again. Also, if your have a radiator funnel, with the engine cold you can put that on, place some fluid in the funnel, start the car and let it run. Observe how much air bubbles come up through the funnel. Typically you will see some while it is bleeding out, and then one here or there during normal operation, but if you have excessive gas coming through the funnel, then that would most likely confirm that the head gasket is failing.

Either way, start with the basics, bleeding the system, running the car and checking that the fans are operating and that the thermostat is opening. Could be a bad water pump. Hopefully they used a Honda one and not a GBM aftermaket POS. If it is a bad pump then they should be replacing it for free.

My two cents.

alright this is if your headgasket is shot....if you just got your timing belt, and water pump replaced thats great..you really need one considering its a 94 and im sure there are plenty of miles on it. anyway if in fact is your head gasket, you dont need a new motor, your headgasket will cause coolant to leak in. Therefore causing massive amounts of pressure therefore either blowing your radiator...which you will eventually see or massive leakage somewhere. This is from experience, if the head gasket is blown dont drive on the car.

alright this is if your headgasket is shot....if you just got your timing belt, and water pump replaced thats great..you really need one considering its a 94 and im sure there are plenty of miles on it. anyway if in fact is your head gasket, you dont need a new motor, your headgasket will cause coolant to leak in. Therefore causing massive amounts of pressure therefore either blowing your radiator...which you will eventually see or massive leakage somewhere. This is from experience, if the head gasket is blown dont drive on the car.

ok so basically i need to replace the head gasket which means taking it apart and getting the heads shaved and replacing the gasket is there anything thing else i whould possibly do before and or during and after this process i just want to make sure i got everything done at once

agian thank you for all your help

• 1 month later...

ok well after the break i took from the car i decided to get a new/used engine to replace the one i have i have a 1994 acura integra 1.8l dohc b18b1 engine can someone give me some other engine that will basically mount up to this car with out so many changes i also want to keep the same tranny i have which is automatic

the reason i decided to do this is because i found me another teg to work on with a 5 speed in it and it runs i am just building this for my brother in law to use for school

any replies are greatly appreciated

your original problem is a headgasket 100%. if you still want to change the engine , which given your problem is rediculous , any B series engine from 91-01 will fit in there and bolt to the tranny you have no problem. do yourself a favor , put a $65 head gasket on it , lol.

^Have to agree... Head gasket is failry inexpnsive, and pretty easy to do. If you dont know how to do it, read a bit and try. You will never learn something unless you try. Not to mention, you will be greatfuly you saved all that money and learned a bit in the process..

ok well you have pretty much talked me into trying the headgasket myself i have done one before but i also had a 15 year experienced mechanic helping so any one have an idea of what kinda tools i might need just a basic list will be greatly appreciated and thank you again for talking me into saving money lol

ok well you have pretty much talked me into trying the headgasket myself i have done one before but i also had a 15 year experienced mechanic helping so any one have an idea of what kinda tools i might need just a basic list will be greatly appreciated and thank you again for talking me into saving money lol

I'm pretty sure you would just need the basic ratchets and a blade to scrape off the old gasket cause from experience, I've never been able to get a old gasket to come off in one piece. And a Chiltons manual if you dont already have one.

ok awesome now the problemi am having is how do i get the security code for the car i didnt realize it had a security deal until the car is back together and now it will not shift and also since i got the car back together it will start just fine and as l9ong as i have the gas pressed the car will run but as soon as i leave it to idle it stalls any hints on this my guess is timing is not set on key might need to reset timing

thank you ahead for all the replies

Archived