Waxing my car

savierdcglobe

Yes it will hurt the paint. The paint needs time after being sprayed to outgas. All the gasses that you can smell on a fresh paintjob need to get out of the paint before it is completely cured. Sealing these gasses in with a wax will keep the paint from fully curing and will cause problems down the road.

oh crap,

I kinda waxed a part of my hood? is there a way to undo what I've done?

are black cars especially difficult to wax in terms of procedure and method?

There's a couple things you can do to get the wax off. Make a Dawn wash liquid detergent and wash the hood with it (only the hood). Wash/Rinse/Dry a couple of times on the hood but don't do the whole car (unless you waxed the entire car) Dawn will dry out rubber seals so I'd reccomend not doing it on the whole car unless necessary (despite what many detailers think). After your done with the dawn washes on the hood. Spray a mix of 50/50 alcohol/water and it will remove any last remaining oils.

Black cars aren't harder to wax than any other color, just the maintenance is harder. Also if you leave any wax residue it will show up more than a lighter colored car. Find a good sealant to use instead of a wax and it will be easier to maintain. I use Duragloss 105 quite a bit. It looks almost identical to Zaino, has the same durability, seems to repel dust rather than attract it like wax, and is slicker than snot which keeps dirt from sticking as well.....oh and it's only about $15 which is much cheaper than zaino.

I thought it didn't matter since the car was new? Shouldn't the paint be cured from the factory?

It depends on how long it has sat at the dealer since being built. It can take between 30-90 days for paint to cure which most cars on the dealer lot have been on the lot longer than that.....why take the chance though since it's not hard to wait another 30 days just in case. A guy on autopia ordered his new porsche 997 and he had it at his house right under 30 days from when it was assembeled on the other side of the ocean, so you never know.

Don't bother taking it off. 6 months time is long enough for the paint to be done.

polyurethane paint is almost completely cured by the time it is done cooling down from the oven. They say the rest is cured over the next week. They don't have the kinda time to let stuff air dry like we do on a one off project.

hmmm, well when i worked at mercedes they had us wax every new car delivery....and older cars don't look bad at all that came in for full details most of the time, so didn't seem to hurt the paint at all.

maybe that's just paint quality but as far as i know it hasn't hurt cars that i've detailed.

Black cars aren't harder to wax than any other color, just the maintenance is harder. Also if you leave any wax residue it will show up more than a lighter colored car. Find a good sealant to use instead of a wax and it will be easier to maintain. I use Duragloss 105 quite a bit. It looks almost identical to Zaino, has the same durability, seems to repel dust rather than attract it like wax, and is slicker than snot which keeps dirt from sticking as well.....oh and it's only about $15 which is much cheaper than zaino.

very nice, i will most def keep that in mind.

Archived