Buying a Sol

Jasontamu

hi guys,

Im looking at buying a 94 Del Sol SI.

1. is 4K too much given it runs and body is clean, etc?

2. also, what are the major problems to look out for? ive read about leaking seals and water getting in on some other forums. is there anything major i should look out for.

3. what is the motor of choice. by that i mean, im reading that most want the vtec motor, but for my uses and far as reliability goes will the other choices hold up? ie. will the si motor hold up?

This is gonna be a third car so i dont mind some down time, were buying it because we do plan on have it as a project, but a light project to where it can be a comfortable daily driver given the better gas mileage.

with that being said, i would appreciate your thoughts, insight.

thanks,

Jason

hi guys,

Im looking at buying a 94 Del Sol SI.

1. is 4K too much given it runs and body is clean, etc?

2. also, what are the major problems to look out for? ive read about leaking seals and water getting in on some other forums. is there anything major i should look out for.

3. what is the motor of choice. by that i mean, im reading that most want the vtech motor, but for my uses and far as reliability goes will the other choices hold up? ie. will the si motor hold up?

This is gonna be a third car so i dont mind some down time, were buying it because we do plan on have it as a project, but a light project to where it can be a comfortable daily driver given the better gas mileage.

with that being said, i would appreciate your thoughts, insight.

thanks,

Jason

1) 4k is a pretty good price. Pictures would help with a better idea of a good price.

2) Theres nothing really major thats a problem with sols. Some might have more problems than others.

3) I think the si motor has a sohc or dohc motor. The vohc i believe has better performance, and the dohc is more durable due to the dohc has 2 cam shafts and the sohc only has one.

What are your plans for it? If you dont mind give us some photo's.

what is a vohc? i heard of a sohc and dohc. as far as i kno the 94 si is sohc. is a nice motor but the b16 is better, producing more power and more sort after.

the other question being a si and has the SOHC motor is it auto or manual, and how many miles. it is a lil highin price IMO unless the thing is f*cking clean and nothing wrong

but the major question is what are your plans for the car?

and pics are plus where is the car located?

hi.

use kbb.com to find the right price range for around your area...you didn't mention the miles on it...

Honda engines are usually very reliable...but you have to check the condition of this engine you are looking at...also VTEC helps power and helps fuel efficiency in most Hondas...

what kind of project do you have in mind?

what is a vohc? i heard of a sohc and dohc. as far as i kno the 94 si is sohc. is a nice motor but the b16 is better, producing more power and more sort after.

the other question being a si and has the SOHC motor is it auto or manual, and how many miles. it is a lil highin price IMO unless the thing is f*cking clean and nothing wrong

but the major question is what are your plans for the car?

and pics are plus where is the car located?

I have no idea what a vohc is, I dont know why I even typed that. I was going between Yahoo messenger and this when I typed it. I might have been thinking of Vtec and sohc when i typed it. sorry.

I have no idea what a vohc is, I dont know why I even typed that. I was going between Yahoo messenger and this when I typed it. I might have been thinking of Vtech and sohc when i typed it. sorry.

SORRY GUYS...

were talking about only manual transmission models -

plans are suspension and wheels, its gonna be a daily driver but my wife will take it to a few autox events with it. i autox and drift race a 350z with all the supporting mods..

so the del sol will follow with that in mods. nothing major just suspension and wheels and clean it up...its gonna look clean for and well taken care of for my wife...yall know how girls are....

ya, the car i found is 130K miles and really clean body....so far this is my first pick but i have found others in near similar condition and mileage.

heres the first pick..

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/car/509077125.html

the others ive found have been online and local car lots...some better than others in condition but for the most part body/appearance has been like this one....clean...

- Jason

my bad...i guess i got confused from all the ones ive been researching and looking up? what do you think?

it appears to be very clean, good straight body...probably garage kept?

- j

It seems to be a good price. Does it have any mods? or is it completely stock?

It seems to be a good price. Does it have any mods? or is it completely stock?

I believe its complete stock...which is what i want... i hate fixing up cars that have been ripped into before or have quick fix mods and i have to deal with that kinda junk...

i come from a 240 background and the best cars ive seen fixed up started out all stock...

im glad others feel thats a good price.....thanks..

- Jason

Hey as far as problems with del slows there doesn't seem to be many at all other than the lack of power. However for autox they are awesome even stock. I have owned 4 del sols a 93 two 94's and one 95 they all were awesome cars with very limited problems. All of my sols had over 150k when i bought them and one of my 94's had 187,000 on it and it was surprisingly the best of the four. It all really depends on the previous owners, and how well they took care of them. Unfortunately many sols are beaten to the ground but there are a few out there that are in great condition. I took a look at the pics of the sol your looking at it looks like its in good condition as far as body and paint goes, but make sure you take it for a long ride before you pull out your check book. Take it on the freeway and drive it fairly hard, most of the sounds a bad or going bad engine makes are at higher RPM's so test her out. Also check the oil and other fluids, if everything looks topped off and the oil is atleast semi clean the owner probably takes pretty good care of the car. Hope this info helps _ 1994turbodelsol-Jeff

4k for a sol that is clean thats a good deal. heres a sol they had my work for 2 days and sold its a 93 si. massive amount of rust 189k miles. timming belt never been changed and so on. they sold it for 4500 dollars. i told the manager that he was joking when he told me the price. But i cant do much because im just a detailer. he knows what mine looks like and how it looked when i got it and i only paid 3 after doing some body work, and painting. lol but hey man i think that sol u are talking about it a good deal. here are the pix of the sol we had for sale and sold for 4500

junksol011.jpg

junksol001-1.jpg

junksol004-1.jpg

well any del sol that is clean for 4 g's is a good deal especially a 93 if i read correctly, but yea rims and some suspension mods will make this a fun and eye appealing car that you and ur wife will enjoy i mean i bought my del sol for 800 bucks but the whole rear end was smashed in so if you have the sohc vtec motor then good cause you will probably get ur money back that you payed for it just in the gas you save

Archived