HELP!!! Engine revs in park, won't shift out of park&

jdbfs

Of course we are leaving to go out of town this weekend. The engine is revving up when in park and I can't shift out of park without using the override. It works fine after you shift out but afraid to drive it. When it goes back in park, the engine revs to a higher RPM again and I can't shift out of park. I have read about problems with one of these but not both. Just got the oil changed in the car yesterday and think something was screwed up. I don't know much about cars - PLEASE HELP!

Oil change wouldn't affect that- unless you have a corrupt mechanic that's trying to mess with you. Check the basics- look at the vacuum lines for breaks/cracks/leaks... I know that's a very common cause of sporadic idle. Mine did the same thing because of that very problem- it'd rev. up while idling. Not really sure about the shifting problem- I'm not familiar with auto trannies at all... I've only ever owned manuals ;)

Not to belittle you, but it's not really cold outside when it revs high is it? Sometimes it's the simplest things- I always try to think of the easiest/most common solutions first.

Oil change wouldn't affect that- unless you have a corrupt mechanic that's trying to mess with you. Check the basics- look at the vacuum lines for breaks/cracks/leaks... I know that's a very common cause of sporadic idle. Mine did the same thing because of that very problem- it'd rev. up while idling. Not really sure about the shifting problem- I'm not familiar with auto trannies at all... I've only ever owned manuals ;)

Not to belittle you, but it's not really cold outside when it revs high is it? Sometimes it's the simplest things- I always try to think of the easiest/most common solutions first.

mine doesnt have the revin problem, but the shift outta park thing is very annoying. i can get over it(i c it as an antitheft device lol), but im plannin on sellin the car(so i can get a manual) and would like the problem fixed for the buyer.

I really don't know- I've heard about it before... I THINK I've heard of people having the shifter mechanism checked, if I remember right, something about when you press the button it isn't fully releasing shifter bearings/clamps (whatever you want to call them) completely; like they aren't opening up so it struggles to move out of park... but I'm really unfamiliar with auto trannies, hopefully someone here has a definite answer for you guys.

This happend to my friend's automatic...I held down the brake and shifted...didn't work...so then, I turned the car off and pumped the brake a few times and then turned the car on and it worked...

it could be the shift interlock solenoid (it's called that...sensor for shifting whatever)...if not, then brake pedal sensor...or tranny oil maybe...

I would try the shift interlock sol. first...

Lol, noob.

Edit: When I posted this there was a site error that made Lina post like 9 times. Now apparently that's gone so it just seems like I was being rude to the OP. Sorry.

No one on here really knows much about autos as far as I know. You might need to take it in to a dealer just to get a diagnosis.

Hey that has happened to me before as well and one thing to check for is that the parking brake light isnt on. im not saying ur brake is on but the light is on on the dash. if it is than check ur brake lights i am pretty sure that as a safety precaution honda rigged their shifting solenoids to operate correctly only with all safety lights working. giv that a shot and see if it doesnt work let me no aight ltr.

ok after doing some thinking. i think you have more of an idle issue than a shifting issue. if the car is idleing high the tranny wont let the car move into drive or reverse because it'll cause that slam forward/reverse motion and put strain on the drivetrain. it was jsut a thought and that would be my opinion.

Lol, noob.

Edit: When I posted this there was a site error that made Lina post like 9 times. Now apparently that's gone so it just seems like I was being rude to the OP. Sorry.

No one on here really knows much about autos as far as I know. You might need to take it in to a dealer just to get a diagnosis.

I was wondering why you were laughing...ya my laptop is sensitive and HF was slow and I might have clicked a few times too lol :p then I deleted the extras

i work at a dealership and i know that any time we get our hands on cars we tend to check what can be replaced, including the air filter and tranny fluid along with any belts and hoses that might be cracked or cracked easily so i'd check your vacuum lines and trans fluid level like those other guys said. check the trans level in park, idling and warmed up. no check engine light?

i dnt have any engine light, all the lights work, its not the button on the shifter(it works for everything else, just not outta park.) i think lceah's got it right with the SIS, then ill check the tranny fluid and where is the brake sensor and SIS?

• 2 weeks later...

it can either be the switch on the pedal itself or the solonoid that unlocks the shifter when you push the brake pedal( it makes a little click when you push the pedal). if the brake lights on the car are coming on right than its not the switch. if it is the solonoid you can get a new shifter assembly prety cheap on ebay and just bolt that one in.

Archived