Question regarding Key Immobilizer

I have a 2003 Honda Accord with the transponder chip mounted in the key. The key broke away from the housing so I bought a new housing off ebay and moved the transponder and key module to the blank. My wife took the key to get cut and it didn't turn the ignition.

I have successfully replaced one key using the above technique, however the last attempt failed. I need to find out if the transponder is damaged or they just plain cut the key wrong. I've read that the key will turn in the ignition even if the chip isn't present. What's the verdict?

I went to honda today with my key blank. I got jockied around between parts and service. I told them I would take care of the immobilizer key and they cut me a key. I have another question. If I try to start the car with a key that has the incorrect mobilizer, is there a crazy protection mechanism that will render the car unstartable even with the correct key?

I'm probably being paranoid, but the guy didn't seem very nice at the parts counter. After I explained my situation with the bad machine at the other place and them having my old immobilizer chip, he ended up cutting me a key without charging. He said he wasn't able to charge for that kind of service. He said something when I was leaving about how I should remember things are cheaper on the internet. I couldn't tell if he was being sincere or smart.

Now I am paranoid that using a key with the incorrect chip in it will disable my car, leaving me stranded. Could somebody assure me that using a key with the wrong transponder won't do bad things to my car besides not start it?

the keys cut is just like its always been. just to turn the tumbler. is they key does not emit the right rfid , than the car will just turn over forever and not start. but it will turn over.

I understand the cut is soley for turning the tumber as in conventional systems. I'm concerned that having the incorrect immobilizer key will roll the code and prevent ANY of my keys from working without a reprogram and dishing out loot I don't really want to. If the tumbler turns, and the chip code doesn't match what is stored in the car, will the security system prevent any key from starting the car without a reprogram?

I really wouldn't put it past honda to advertise this as a security feature, when it's just another way for them to collect money for you. Could somebody confirm that I will/won't brick the car?

I think your a bit paranoid as having the wrong transponder with a correct cut, will just be like having a key without the transponder at all. It should not lock you out after you or someone else tried to start your car with the wrong transponder.

I hope I'm being paranoid. I found this on the internet. The snyd remark of the parts tech about a cheaper deal on the net and this post worry me about using a key with a chip not programmed for the car.

Question

I recently came out to my 2004 Honda Civic and unlocked the doors with the keyfob, but when I put the key in the ignition all the lights on the dashboard began flickering and the immobilization system light began flashing. I tried several times to remove it and repeat the process and even changed the battery in the keyfob to no avail. It is now sitting in a parking lot 30 miles away unable to be started. Is there anyway to disarm the immobilization system manually?

Answer

Wish there was a way, but no, you will need to

conact a Honda dealer near where you parked the car,

and have it towed in for reprograming of the

transponder chip in the key.

How you lost the transponder programming would hinge

on the circumstance of the car. Power loss

can do it. A theft attempt too (wrong key was

inserted and bumped the codes.)

In any case, Honda needs to inspect and reset.

Sorry, but can't throw any sunshine

down on this one for ya.

I think your a bit paranoid as having the wrong transponder with a correct cut, will just be like having a key without the transponder at all. It should not lock you out after you or someone else tried to start your car with the wrong transponder.

I had the chip moved from the blank they screwed up into the blank they replaced it with. Despite all the skepticism and evil looks from honda and the key place, the key works so all is well. No programming needed.

Archived