alright a buddy of mine asked me this

Nizmo

ok so lets say someones engine specs is "102 bhp @5900rpm and 98 lbft @ 5000rpm" does that mean the car gets the most power when it reaches 5900rpm for the horsepower and 5000rpm for torque or does it mean from 0rpm-5900rpm it has the 102 bhp and then after 5900rpm it starts to lose power? i kno its a dumb question but he had me confused and i'm not an expert on engines as much as i am on body and so i was just going to put the question out there so i can understand better and explain it to him. thanks everyone.

alright thanx, so its best to say switch at 5900rpm when raceing? i know it say 102hp and thats not worth raceing, but it was for an example, my frined also asked if he was to launch from what the specs say like 300bhp@5900rpm, would he have a better run or is it best to launch from like 2500rpm?

kegger's right. honda would make the shift point(in auto trans cars) at the peak power point when the gas is mashed instead of like 7k if that was the case. even though you loose power after the peak, you dont loose much (look up some dyno sheets and you'll c this), and 7k will get your wheels spinnin faster than they will at 6k. plus you dont have as far to go with gettin back to the peak after the car shifts. so to be safe when you launch if you havent done it before than go with like 6k and push it till redline before shifting, you'll go faster.

Run it from the bottom to the top. If you shift at the peak, you drop way below it, then have to reach it again in the next gear and you're not using that power very well.

true that homie

lol @ airjordan, i would hope so too..its ok my civic only puts out 108hp..but my project 240sx will be putting out a lot more when i'm done with it, but thanks guy for all the replies.

Archived