1999 Honda Accord Ex V6

yo noki!

So, I'm planning on lowering my car about 2 in. in the front and 1.7 in. in the back..

On top of this, I'm planning on putting in 18's on my car...

I've heard from one of my friends that 18's on my car in Atlanta would be a really bad idea because our roads are really fracked up.

I drive like a crazy person so I am now a bit hesitant to go through with what I'm planning.

So my questions are:

Should I buy the 18s?

Is 2in. too low?

and will the lowering affect the performance of the wheels... because of the fact that they're bigger already.. ?

and finally:

should i go through with it?

-thanks guys!-

-noki

"Should I buy the 18s?"

Do not buy the 18 inch rims.

"Is 2in. too low?"

Yes and no, sometimes 2 inches is too low and sometimes it is not. It depends what the lowering is intended to accomplish. Since no 1999 V6 Accord ever appeared in professional racing, I will assume your car is a) not designed to race b) has not been modified to race c) will not be modified to race. Given those assumptions, the answer is yes, 2 inches is too low.

"will the lowering affect the performance...?"

Yes, if you consider your turning radius, degree of freedom, camber, etc. as performance factors.

"should i go through with it?"

No

alright, so now i've heard from three people the 18s are not a good idea.. so i probably won't get them then.

the lowering part.. im hesitant to do 2 in.. so i'll try and find another set that won't lower it so much..

the guy selling the springs said he rolled on 18s with it being lowered that much and said it was fine..

but he may have been easing me into buying :p

thanks for the comments :]

any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

A 2 inch drop is actually pretty modest. I was going to drop my '95 accord 2.4F 2.0R, But I decided to go with a 2.1F, 1.7R drop. 18's will be too big, and hideous. IMO, I would go with 16's. Lowering the car shouldn't affect performance in a negative way. It will reduce body roll, making your car handle better.

With all due respect,

airjordan223:

"the fact that the car wasnt in professional racing has nothing to do with being able to modify it."

I never meant to imply that a Honda that has never been raced cannot be modified. My reference to professional racing was two-fold. One, I wanted to make it clear that any non-stock aftermarket modifications possible on a 1998+ V6 Accord have not been tested in the cauldron of professional racing, a veritable trial-by-fire. Two, it was an innuendo. I was insinuating that without being tested in professional racing, in concert with other modifications, you essentially become a one-man: design team, mechanical engineering team, etc.; basically research and development on your dime.

"2 inches will just get rid of some of the wheel gap"

Without ever needing a drop to race, any drop on this V6 Accord would simply be for aesthetic appeal. Therefore the drop (2 inches or otherwise) is a completely subjective choice where our opinions should neither matter or be submitted for review; but that's on yo noki! for asking.

AccordHEART:

"Lowering the car shouldn't affect performance in a negative way"

Since yo noki! is considering the purchase of springs, and I am assuming yo noki! meant springs only when yo noki! failed to mentions anything besides springs, this drop will negatively affect the performance of the car. yo noki! did not volunteer any information regarding what type of bushings the Accord either has or will have, if adjustable shocks are in the near future, camber correction, etc.

"It will reduce body roll, making your car handle better."

There is more to handling than reducing body roll.

yo noki!, what you have not been told is that by lowering your car, your OEM shocks will bottom out constantly, destroying your bump stops. The bump stops will need to be changed soon, or soon after they have been damaged. You floor pan has a series of rubber grommets that have been painted over and coated on installation. Constantly scraping the bottom of your car on the road nocks these grommets loose and they soon begin to allow water into your car when you drive in rain.

Don't do it, especially if the roads in your area are in poor condition.

IMO lowering is for purpose built race cars, not street cars.

And in the majority of our opinions, lowering is to look good and improve general handling. Not necessarily for racing, you don't have to race your car just so it can look nice.

And a conservative drop like this isn't gonna bottom out his shocks as much as you say it will. Been there, done that. Never had a problem with ripping out those grommets or anything like that. Those grommets go in from the top down, not bottom up.

And you learn to drive to compensate for your drop. And it improves your driving skill overall, by making you more aware of the road and what is around you. So no need to bash on someone just cuz they want to do something you have no interest in.

My Car is lowered 2.2 in the front and 2.0 in the rear. I'm riding on 17's as well. I do not rub nor scrape anything unless I'm acting stupid. 2 Inches will by no means hurt a car. My car has very little camber on the front wheels. FACT: Accords sit higher than Del Sol's so a 2 inch drop for an accord is not harmful in any way.

With all due respect,

airjordan223:

"the fact that the car wasnt in professional racing has nothing to do with being able to modify it."

I never meant to imply that a Honda that has never been raced cannot be modified. My reference to professional racing was two-fold. One, I wanted to make it clear that any non-stock aftermarket modifications possible on a 1998+ V6 Accord have not been tested in the cauldron of professional racing, a veritable trial-by-fire. Two, it was an innuendo. I was insinuating that without being tested in professional racing, in concert with other modifications, you essentially become a one-man: design team, mechanical engineering team, etc.; basically research and development on your dime.

Without ever needing a drop to race, any drop on this V6 Accord would simply be for aesthetic appeal. Therefore the drop (2 inches or otherwise) is a completely subjective choice where our opinions should neither matter or be submitted for review; but that's on yo noki! for asking.

AccordHEART:

Since yo noki! is considering the purchase of springs, and I am assuming yo noki! meant springs only when yo noki! failed to mentions anything besides springs, this drop will negatively affect the performance of the car. yo noki! did not volunteer any information regarding what type of bushings the Accord either has or will have, if adjustable shocks are in the near future, camber correction, etc.

yo noki!, what you have not been told is that by lowering your car, your OEM shocks will bottom out constantly, destroying your bump stops. The bump stops will need to be changed soon, or soon after they have been damaged. You floor pan has a series of rubber grommets that have been painted over and coated on installation. Constantly scraping the bottom of your car on the road nocks these grommets loose and they soon begin to allow water into your car when you drive in rain.

as for the "you essentially become a one-man: design team, mechanical engineering team, etc.; basically research and development on your dime."

.. i'm a chick :p hehe

also, i'm sorry for not mentioning.. but if i do end up going through with the lowering process, i'd invest in aftermarket shocks and camber kit.

alssoo.. what if i'm an everyday street racer?

my friends drive bmws.. benzes and lexuses lol..

can't be beat out EVERY time ;)

thanks for the advice though.

also. didn't mean to have everyone go crazy :p

i was just wondering.. thanks for all your suggestions! :D

Well if you wanna go all the way, get adjustable coilovers, Camber kit, and maybe a bushing kit to stiffen everything up real nice like.

Tein, Skunk2, OmniPower are some good companies for struts, spring, and camber kits. The only company that I personally favor for bushings is Energy Suspension. Just get the black ones though, the red ones squeak too much.

With all due respect,

airjordan223:

AccordHEART:

ummm what. all products are tested before theyre put into the market. its not like youre making the springs yourself and throwing them on your car. also theres thousands of lowered accords out there so its not something new. lowering your car will improve the handling. with new springs/shocks or coilover setup, you will have a lower center of gravity, less body roll, and a stiffer setup.

I was not trying to bash, in the future I will qualify my remarks since as you can tell: I have no interest in lowering for looks. I do believe lowering is for the track. Don't get me wrong, lowering looks good in photos, but I don't think it belongs on city streets.

As I age, I find myself falling into the don't-do-it-without-a-good-performance-reason-if-it-costs-alot crowd.

Sorry, I just have a different point of view.

I do not know everything. If I did know everything, I would answer ever question posed on this forum. I post on threads when the questions are with regard to topics that I have personal experience or extensive knowledge of. That's why, if you see me post on a thread, I have alot to say, otherwise, I say nothing at all.

I don't think she should be street racing either. She should join her local SCCA club.

By the way, right on the nose Kegger, with the suspension setup suggestion.

yeah lowering makes the car look good, but after i did all the suspension work on my car i didnt care how slow it was because of how well the car handled. going around corners with confidence is a lot more fun than driving in a straight line.

Quote from the Megan Racing website. "The result is a spring that specifically offers racecar handling, yet maintains smooth and comfortable ride characteristics. Carefully matched springs rates provide exceptional handling, response, control and balance. These springs offer a generous drop to your car while remaining very “streetable” by having enough clearance to avoid bottoming-out; and the lowered center of gravity improves performance and increases stability, as well as enhancing the appearance of the vehicle."

I was not trying to bash, in the future I will qualify my remarks since as you can tell: I have no interest in lowering for looks. I do believe lowering is for the track. Don't get me wrong, lowering looks good in photos, but I don't think it belongs on city streets.

As I age, I find myself falling into the don't-do-it-without-a-good-performance-reason-if-it-costs-alot crowd.

Sorry, I just have a different point of view.

I do not know everything. If I did know everything, I would answer ever question posed on this forum. I post on threads when the questions are with regard to topics that I have personal experience or extensive knowledge of. That's why, if you see me post on a thread, I have alot to say, otherwise, I say nothing at all.

I don't think she should be street racing either. She should join her local SCCA club.

By the way, right on the nose Kegger, with the suspension setup suggestion.

Lol. I wonder why it is that hardly anyone on this topic actually talks to me.. but about me to other people xD

I find that entirely amusing. Anyway, I don't REALLY street race.. My friends and I occasionally try to duke it out weaving on the interstate on the commute home from school :p

But I do think lowering will take place.. because I LOVE winding roads.. and I agree with airjordan223.. straight lines are gay xD

So, if 2" is a moderate drop on an accord.. then a 1.3" drop should be fine yes?

also, would you guys mind telling me what brand/kind of intakes and exhausts I should get?

thanks! :D

a 1.3 inch drop really wont do much, you should try to get closer to 2.

for an intake i say go with AEM. other people might say get a cheap one off ebay but then use a K&N filter, but i dont like to cheap out on parts.

as for the exhaust, it really depends what kind of sound you want. do a search for "exhaust" and youll find hundreds of threads discussing them

Archived