Daughter's first car

Mike Rocket J Squirrel

We just got a 1998 Civic LX with 98,000 miles for our daughter's first car. The engine is clean, front end needed alignment and the rear brakes were pretty worn. All that's been taken care of. The shop had some concerns, though, and I wanted to post them in case anyone has some general advice about them.

1. Timing belt. We pulled the cover and the existing belt looks clean, no oil. Leave it or change it?

2. CV boots. Ruptured. No bad noises from the CV joints at this time. Just wait for ugly noises?

3. Water pump -- do at the same time as the belt, I suppose?

Anything else of a mechanical or electrical nature that the concerned father of a new driver should be looking into?

usually honda recommends timing belt at 100k so you should do that, replace the cv boots so they dont dry out and splatter grease everywhere. the water pump wouldnt be a bad idea to change either. depending on the previous owner will determine what needs to be looked out for. like was the car modified in any kind of way?

what model is it? 2dr or 4dr?

We just got a 1998 Civic LX with 98,000 miles for our daughter's first car. The engine is clean, front end needed alignment and the rear brakes were pretty worn. All that's been taken care of. The shop had some concerns, though, and I wanted to post them in case anyone has some general advice about them.

1. Timing belt. We pulled the cover and the existing belt looks clean, no oil. Leave it or change it?

2. CV boots. Ruptured. No bad noises from the CV joints at this time. Just wait for ugly noises?

3. Water pump -- do at the same time as the belt, I suppose?

Anything else of a mechanical or electrical nature that the concerned father of a new driver should be looking into?

i say you go ahead and change everything it needs to be changed. if anything happens to the car while she is on the road she probably wont know what to do.

so its better to be safe than sorry.

Truthfully, the timing belt and water pump in single cams is a cake job from when I've watched. I don't think a shop would charge too much to do those two jobs.

Pictures (of your daughter)? Haha.:-

Truthfully, the timing belt and water pump in single cams is a cake job from when I've watched. I don't think a shop would charge too much to do those two jobs.

Pictures (of your daughter)? Haha.:-

(*smacks self*)>_<

You're right -- the job doesn't look very difficult.

And.

A father doesn't pimp his daughter.

omg Oooooo.....you just got told compuvision......lol

Hahaha......god....we give great welcomes...........EBP gave newkid the textual equivalent of a kick in the balls......lol

Archived