Looking at Civic EX or SI comments?

jjcuff1

I have the 94S and I love driving it. Great gas mileage, and so much fun to wind it out. The spped doesn;t bother me. It 'feels' fast when I crank it up to 7000rpm. Of course for a dialy commuter the ingress/egress safety etc bother.

So I am convinced my next new car will be a honda. I have a 2002 lincoln ls I drive to pick up my kids. I like the comfort of the lincoln and it has solid performance and is easy to drive, good performance but has with 100k miles already has reliability issues, discontinued model in everyway, and although decent gas MPG (22/24) I am spoiled with honda.

So I am thinking of trading my del sol or possibly LS to get a honda. Here is my question or looking for comments:

I Love the new SI and even the coupe would suffice to fit my kids for weekends over the lincoln. I know it rides great, sporty, safe, high revs. All ok with that. But is the extra road ride and worse MPG over the R18 EX model noticeable on a daily basis? I have a del sol S so I know the EX and the SI will feel leaps and bounds in performance. But anyone with the EX: does the manual rpm rev happiness of the R18 similiar or just as fun as the del sol or comparable to the SI (minus the power). I would rather take the EX for the extra MPG and cost since it looks just like and SI without the rims and seats and extra gear.

The SI looks like a blast and I can live with the extra cost for the added fun if I know on daily basis I can drive normal, which I do, and get 28-32mpg 50/50 city/highway driving. If I can only get 22/24 average and 32 on long trips I am in the same boat with the lincoln yet a smaller car, less comfortable and more payments. (lincoln has 24months left at $338)

So you see what I am asking? is the EX a 90% SI competitor? can you get 28+mpg daily driver out of the SI? is the EX R18 engine happy to rev and with I/H/E on the R18 will it be in old B16 territory as far as performance? (32mpg/ 0-60 7 seconds, 1/4mi low15's maybe 14s?

SI and EX are pretty much different cars altogether...

my SI is faster than new EX.

even under high acceleration, the new SI should stay in the 30 mpg range.

think of it this way.

the RSX type S vs the RSX base... 50-60 hp difference.. its pretty much the same as SI vs EX

check edmunds.com for more specs on the two.

SI and EX are pretty much different cars altogether...

my SI is faster than new EX.

even under high acceleration, the new SI should stay in the 30 mpg range.

think of it this way.

the RSX type S vs the RSX base... 50-60 hp difference.. its pretty much the same as SI vs EX

check edmunds.com for more specs on the two.

I am aware the performance between SI and EX is night and day. i am asking more about the charateritics of the EX compared to the Del Sol for example. Is the EX rev happy? good withs simple bolt ons and will it perform similar to a B16 DOHC after boltons. I am pretty sure the new EX will get in the 30MPG range all day

Now if the answer is NO without question then is the SI realistically going to get 28-30MPG in daily driving? I am well aware teh SI will perform and will be fun and will drive better then the EX but what is the MPG penalty.

my brother (works at a honda dealership) said the R18 is not a 90% competitor.. maybe a 75%.

EX is good for daily driving and will be... moderately fun, but basically there isnt enough to make it amuse you as the new SI would.

on an 11 hour drive, i averaged 33 MPG on highway at about 80 MPH and usually get about 26 MPG in the city.. even with 215k miles on the odometer.

my brother (works at a honda dealership) said the R18 is not a 90% competitor.. maybe a 75%.

EX is good for daily driving and will be... moderately fun, but basically there isnt enough to make it amuse you as the new SI would.

on an 11 hour drive, i averaged 33 MPG on highway at about 80 MPH and usually get about 26 MPG in the city.. even with 215k miles on the odometer.

in what an EX? or an 06-07 SI? SI good MPG! if an EX, BAD!!!

both will get in the 30 mpg range. get the si, it will handle better, faster, same economy, better trans, greater variety of aftermarket mods, just go with the SI you will be alot happier. if i had the choice between the si and ex i'd gladly pay any extra money needed to get the si.

Archived