my car keep overheating....help me?

spike10197

i own a 1990 honda civic 1500DX. im a newb with it still. this past week it has been overheating. i dont know why though but i did do a few things to see if it would work but, it didnt. the first thing i did was change the THERMOSTAT. then i changed the raditor cap. then i gave it a raditor flush. it keeps overheating. theres no leaks coming from anywhere that i kown of. does the cooling fans run at normal tempture? because mine doesnt. what can i do to fix this problem? can anyone help me please.

also one more thing. do you think it can be the thermosensor that is causing all of this? if so then how do you change it and where its located?

you sure the fan is turning on? if there is no air in the system i could only really see that as being the problem. possibly the water pump too

Could very well be your water pump although rare. How many miles are on it?

i think it is the water pump because everytime i put it in neautral and step on the gas the temp. goes down.

Usually if it is the water pump it will be leaking. First off try unplugging the terminal to your fan. Then grab a coil of wire and hold it to the positive terminal of battery and hold another wire to the ground out the negative side of the fan plug. Basically check to see if your fan is working. Start from the easy stuff then work your way up.

Usually if it is the water pump it will be leaking. First off try unplugging the terminal to your fan. Then grab a coil of wire and hold it to the positive terminal of battery and hold another wire to the ground out the negative side of the fan plug. Basically check to see if your fan is working. Start from the easy stuff then work your way up.

the fans do turn on when the temp. gauge goes up to 3/4 of the way

i dont know if they are supposed to go on then or less.

like i said im new to hondas.

i used to own a 1979 datsun 280zx. :heart:

i knew a lot about it

rev th engine up till the cooling fans come ON.after, it comes on,turn off the engine and feel the radiator fins.from top to bottom all over the radiator.The radiator should be HOT all over.If you feel any "COLD"spots,

then the radiator is prolly clogged .

rev th engine up till the cooling fans come ON.after, it comes on,turn off the engine and feel the radiator fins.from top to bottom all over the radiator.The radiator should be HOT all over.If you feel any "COLD"spots,

then the radiator is prolly clogged .

would getting a raditor pressure test tell if its clogged or not?

id say its a water pump for sure. given the fact when you rev it when sitting still , the temp drops to normal from being hot. but japanese market is right , usually a water is recognized as being good as long as it doesnt leak , but in this case , i think thats not the case.

id say its a water pump for sure. given the fact when you rev it when sitting still , the temp drops to normal from being hot. but japanese market is right , usually a water is recognized as being good as long as it doesnt leak , but in this case , i think thats not the case.

so i should change the water pump?

is it hard to change?

i know i have to adjust the timing belt again when i change it.

how long do you think it might take to do all the work?

i had the same problem with my 00 civic. wait until it start to overheat. check if the fan comes on if it doesnt it might be your fan. theres something your can get just to add power to the fan without even waiting to over heat. you can go to autozone and theyll do it for you. but then again the problem with my car was that the fuse was bad. it drove me crazy till i figured it out but it finally works it cost me a dollar to fix.

i had the same problem with my 00 civic. wait until it start to overheat. check if the fan comes on if it doesnt it might be your fan. theres something your can get just to add power to the fan without even waiting to over heat. you can go to autozone and theyll do it for you. but then again the problem with my car was that the fuse was bad. it drove me crazy till i figured it out but it finally works it cost me a dollar to fix.

so when i go to autozone what do i ask???

or is there something i have to buy?

Wow????? Just stay off the forums, biatch!

I told you what to try and so did another member. I even shot you a pm trying to help you, but since you want to dissrespect me in the pm's asking for help with no flow.......STFU and get off the forums immature little shiat.

they have something they put in the fan plug and they can check if its your fan that wont turn or something elese. its a long shot but it could let you know what the problem might be. also what i would say first change the fuse. good luck

did you do what other members told you to try? Many here are very experienced and great at solving car problems...try what they say...

the only time, I can think of, that it would be the temperature sensor would be if it's not really overheating but you see the temperature up! if that's the case, then change the sensor (like $20) and you gotta search manual to find out where it is in your car...

From a personal experience, you might have a cracked head. I had a cracked head in my engine. But i just did a motor swap. You might want to get a pressure test done too, to even see if you do have a cracked head. Hope this helps :)

if it was cracked head he would have more symptoms of it that just over heating I.E. bubbles in the coolant, wierd idle, loss of power water in oil or vise versa. but since he has only this problem i dont think it is his head.

if it was cracked head he would have more symptoms of it that just over heating I.E. bubbles in the coolant, wierd idle, loss of power water in oil or vise versa. but since he has only this problem i dont think it is his head.

well the only thing that i know of is that on the oil cap the very top inside of it has a little bit of a creamy look. its not to bad or big. just very small.

also im going to try the water pump 1st.

im praying to god that itll work.

When you change the oil (if you ever have), does it look like a milkshake?

lol

no when i changed it, which was like a week ago, it wasnt like milk shake.

i change my oil evey month sometime even twice a month depending on how much i drive

hopefully thats not a bad thing

Archived