Few LSD questions

My tranny in my 99 ex does not have a lsd does it? I got into an argument today with a guy at school talking about positive traction rear ends and lsd's and what not... He was telling me just about every tranny has to have a lsd or a positive traction rear end. I always thought that if you had an lsd on a fwd car both tires will spin and if you diddnt only one would spin and the other would eventually get traction.

Well technically all rears are limited slip.... Its just to how much they are limited.....

a stock rear is limited, but not very much at all. If you get a better rear, then it doesn't let the one wheel slip as much. hence why it will spin

then you have stuff like a quafie thats a load on the axles and stuff and mechanically changes the limited slip characteristics

I used to be able to dump my d16z6 w/ex tranny at a high enough rpm, that both wheels would spin temporarily, then the right would seemingly overtake the left and lay down some good old one-tire fire.

Now, my CURRENT vehicle..Is another story.

Broadly speaking, there are three input torque states - load, no load, & over run. Under load, as previously stated, the coupling is proportional to the input torque. With no load, the coupling is reduced to the static coupling. The behaviour on over run (particularly sudden throttle release) determines whether the LSD is 1 way, 1.5 way, or 2 way.

If there is no additional coupling on over run, the LSD is 1 way. This is a safer LSD, as soon as the driver lifts the throttle, the LSD unlocks and behaves somewhat like a conventional open differential. This is also the best for FWD cars, as it allows the car to turn in on throttle release, instead of ploughing forward. [1]

If the LSD increases coupling in the same way regardless of whether the input torque is forwards or reverse, it is a 2 way differential. Some drifters prefer this type as the LSD behaves the same regardless of their erratic throttle input, and lets them keep the wheels spinning all the way through a corner. An inexperienced driver can easily spin the car when using a 2 way LSD if they lift the throttle suddenly, expecting the car to settle like a conventional open differential.

If the LSD behaves somewhere in between these two extremes, it is a 1.5 way differential, which is a compromise between sportiness and safety. Generally a 1.5 way creates a stronger lock under acceleration than deceleration.

lol If you completly lock the front diff it would make for an interesting ride....lol

we did that to my brothers Rc car, by putting Jb weld in the rears (they actually tell you thats how to lock them......) we had a spare front so we locked it up too, and man....you can't turn worth a crapt!

it would pick up the front inside tire, and the other would just spin in the grass, untill the inside fell back down, then it would flip the car

haha good times!

No USDM D series have LSD from Honda.

There is 1 way, 1.5 way, 2 way, spool. Torque biased, electronic, clutch, then the super nifty crap F1 cars use.

• 3 weeks later...

on the subject of lsd's i have heard for street/light track use (auto x and road race, NOT drag) the best type of lsd to use is a Helical is this true? if so what are the differences between the ITR, the CTR, and some of the after market helical's

Front wheel drive obviously

i dunno if this helps but both of mine spin and my car (99 ex coupe, d16y8) is supposedly completely stock. i bought it used though so i wouldn't know how to tell. i have shotty tires so that might be the reason

Archived