performance headers headache

blackSI

i need some help please, i have a 2000 civic si i put some nopi header and after 2 days of driving i get the check engine light on. i got the code and they are the O2 sensor 1 and 2. but thats not all they car dies and the battery does not get charge like alternator not working. car still have worranty so this is the second time i put it on but the first time a put the vtec controller and i thought it was that but last friday i just put the headers only and it did the same. the new headers does nto have the same height on the sensor its more taller then the stock one so it doesnt go as deep as the stock one. i just put the stock one back and erase the codes but now i have an air fuel contoller code thing but i cant erase that one with the scanner. does the O2 has to do anything with that? am i taking back to the dealer so they can fix it i just want to know if anyone can tell me if the O2 would cause all that.

sure thing the o2 sensors have a lot to do with it.especially OBD2 type.Especially if you got bigger headers.

o2 sensors telling the computer that your running "lean".Most dealers would void warranty if they saw after market headers on it .And as for erasing the code,especially for emission related,i think you gotta take it to a certified place for the code to be completly erased.

you only have 1 header it's not a beetle, v6, v8, v10, v12, etc..

and as for your car trippin an O2 sensor maybe you should buy another set with a longer sensor. as for your air fuel issue that would have to be a dealer fix.

1. NOPI headers are the suck.

2. Buy a DC sports header and you won't have any of those problems.

3. Throw away that VTEC controller if you still have it, they have no place in a car.

ok the o2 sensor i get it now that tells the computer that its running lean, but why would the alternator not charge. that the thing that my alternator not charging and obviously its killing my battery. An other code i get its the mfr control air fuel metering i think that was it. i try to erase it with a mac scanner and it would do it and the owner told me it was manufacture code. well i just wanted to know if the header was doing all that to my car so i can just get rid of it and get some better ones like the person say some DC. well thanks for ur help

Check the fuse for the alternator, if it's not shot take the alternator to autozone and have them check to see if it's any good. If not replace it.

hey thanks so much 88crxsi it was blown the fuse, but one question why would the fuse go bad i mean an o2 sensor wouldnt cause it would it? or could i have a short that make it go bad every time i put the header go bad. 1 mores question does all the car have the same fuse for the alternator or its just a honda or import thing? thanks again for the help it really help me. i live in chicago just incase any1 lives here thanks

All you need is a tiny little power spike to blow the fuse. Sh!t happens, but if it blows them regularly make sure everything to the alternator is connected tight and nothing is hanging.

I can't speak for any other car manufacturer but every Honda I've put my hands on has an alternator fuse.

Archived