5th Gen Clutch

mike32526

It has come time for me to replace the clutch in my 1997 Honda Prelude (non-SH).

Any ideas on best replacement cluch?

Ebay has tons of stage 1-3 high perfornamce clutches, but which would serve me best?

The only modifications I have done are cold air intake and ceramic headers.

The local performance shops say to stay with the standard replacement or maybe a stage 1 clutch kit because I do not have extensive modifications, but this is a major maintenance item and I want to get the best bang for my buck.

Thanks in advance........:thumbsup:

What are the actual differences with each stage versus a typical replacement?

Hey! Since you dont have many mod. I would do a stg 1. Exedy Clutch kits are awesome. The stages are rated for certain horsepower. But since you dont have many mods a stg. 1 would be good. It will give you little more pull than a oem clutch would but not too much where you are messing up your tranny. its just an opinion though.

oreodie

clamp force and materials used in manufacturing is the difference. stage 1 is plenty for mildly modded car. once you need so much clamp , than you need 6 puck discs and such , dual friction.

That all depends on your future plans for the car. If you plan to build it go with a stage 2 but if your just going to do mild mods go with a stage 1. I currently have an Exedy stage 2 but im going to be needing a stage 3 soon, Exedy has very good quality performance clutches.

Well....before i swapped the vtec head on my LS integra, I did an AT-MT conversion and used a Clutchmaster FX100 (Stg 1) clutch/pressure plate and absolutely love it.

I also got the clutchmasters 8 lb flywheel and love that as well, but it's a very streetable clutch that can be daily driven, and is said to be 70% stronger over stock.

For your car, it's $383.00 of their website for Stg 1.

on the other hand, my friend Rob w/ a mildly built GSR EH2 used a "stage 4" e-bay clutch and hasn't had a problem....so you can really go both ways.

Sooooo If I use a stage 3 or 4 with "mild mods", I will be good?

It seems the higher stage clutch kits are cheaper on Ebay.

From what I have read, the higher stage clutches have more "clamping" pressure to grip harder. This would seem to be hard on a tramsmission.

I use my Lude as my daily driver car, so I dont want to wear it out fast..but I do want to be able to get up and go when I need to....LOL.

Even mainly stock, the Lude is pretty fast for my needs... and the guy next door driving the Mustang thinks so as well.....

Another question to someone who has experience driving a stage 1 clutch versus stage 3 or 4, how is the shifiting? I am sure it would seem a lil rougher taking off, but how bad ? Too bad for a daily driver car?

Thanks again in advance.......

:pirate:

You don't need stage 3 or 4 on a stock H22...

basically it's harder to press down the clutch pedal, instant engagement, and very little give to make it smooth to take off from a stop.

you won't like a clutch that grippy....stick to oem or stg 1.

Archived