DEBATE 4 SCHOOL! HELP PLEASE!!

onthefloor

Well, the first thing that comes to mind, is how can anybody be ready for disaster? For example....you know that your wife or mother is going to die in 1 month exactly......is there any way to prepare for that? Even with advance notice, can one prepare?

How does one prepare for a disaster unless you prevent the disaster? Nobody was prepared for the disaster that Katrina caused. Even if they had prepared for Katrina, they would not have been prepared for the disaster of Katrina. If they were prepared to where Katrina didn't cause disaster, then they weren't prepared for disaster.....since no disaster happened (hypothetically). Same would be true in this case.

Being prepared for widespread disaster is not the same as preventing it. Being prepared means that you are able to handle and cope with the disaster when it does, in fact, happen. In my honest opinion, you can not truly be prepared for true disaster, you can only push through it and hope to sruvive it.

That's my take on the broad question you asked....hope it helps.

Well, which side of the debate are you on? What are the facts you know so far? What kinds of points can you bring up and back with empirical evidence or cold hard facts, and not assumtions and heresay? Answer these and you should pretty much have your paper.

You're asking a bunch of guys who drive/work on Hondas about Biological Disaster Preparedness??

Try a different source. You're teacher probably isn't gonna like it if you quote people who have no credibility in that subject.

Now if you were to ask us about an LS/VTEC conversion or what motor P72-A0 pistons are from, then yeah you came to the right place.

Lol, I know you're looking for ideas but this probably isn't the best place.

Mkay here we go. As a country we are not prepared for any kind of disaster natural or engineered. Especially not a biological disaster. Although police, fire, and medical services are trained on what to do there really is no way to gauge how effective they will be in that particular events. And who knows if they will survive to do what needs to be done.

Not only that but the general public as a whole have no idea what to do if such a thing were to happen. There would be mass panic and chaos and nothing could be done to even prevent it. People like to panic its in their nature. So even if they were prepared they would still most likely panic and forget about all of their preparations.

Even within the military we are still somewhat behind on what to do in the event of a biological attack. Sure we have immunizations, protective clothing and masks, and decontamination and treatment drills down to an art. We have never actually had to do it. So no one really knows what to look forward to if it were to happen.

You're asking a bunch of guys who drive/work on Hondas about Biological Disaster Preparedness??

Try a different source. You're teacher probably isn't gonna like it if you quote people who have no credibility in that subject.

Now if you were to ask us about an LS/VTEC conversion or what motor P72-A0 pistons are from, then yeah you came to the right place.

Lol, I know you're looking for ideas but this probably isn't the best place.

but some of us did score high on our ACTs ;)

Yeah but you're not your cousin.

I got a 34 on my ACTs and I like working on cars and building computers. It doesn't really matter what your hobbies are,...if you know something you know it. Just because people are Honda-heads, doesn't make them oblivious to the world. You should know this :p

monty - i know this, but there's no level of professionalism if its a hobby.

How can you say that? Computers are my hobby and I also work at a Data company as a Data Analyst/Graphics Designer. I have more than enough certifications to get plenty of computer jobs, but it's still just a hobby to me, as I'm going to school to get my BSN.

onthefloor - this is a good example of a very good debate/discussion. We're both making valid points, and if you can pull any personal information into it, it gives it a more human feel. Teachers love that crap :D

How can you say that? Computers are my hobby and I also work at a Data company as a Data Analyst/Graphics Designer. I have more than enough certifications to get plenty of computer jobs, but it's still just a hobby to me, as I'm going to school to get my BSN.

Ok well again, you didn't say that. IMO a hobby and a career are two completely different things.

Hondas are my hobby, but I don't want to pursue a career in them.

Computers are my hobby, but I don't want a career in them.

Music is my hobby, but I don't want a career in that either.

But now its come down to a matter of opinion. So let's agree to disagree.

I just want to say thanks for all of you that helped!!! It did help! I already have my speech and all im just trying to be proactive and further my debate because im going to states in april and want to win.

The points why i have that we are not ready are as follows:

1. Hurrican Katrina

2. Vaccines cannot be available within a reasonable time to allow stock piling

3. Lack of hospital Beds + Physicians

4. There are many false signals. (A system that cries wolf and when it does happen people will ignore it)

5. Anthrax

6. We havent had a serious biological disaster so we will not know what to do and in life situations things happen differntly then expected.

7. Even though police, doctors, and all those people are "prepared" or trained when something does happen people get scared and will forget what to do. That is just Human Nature

8. We can no longer rely on the reative posture of the past.

THe points that we are prepared are:

1. "Prediciting rain doesnt count, bulding arks does"

2. Likely hood is likely to be low

3. Its not simple for this to happen. the people doing it have to have technical expertise

4. Theres been 8 occasions in tokyo that is has happened but failed to infect anyone

5. Federal, state, and local authorities routinely conduct surveillance

6. Rapid Communication

7. Quarantine + Isolation methods (was done in the 14th century for plague and 20th for influenza)

8. A solid solution does not just lie in the fabrication of materials but true preparation is education.

Yeah so as u can see i did my research. Thank you again for those of you that helped me!!

My theory: It's only a disaster if you are not prepared. If there is enough preparation then there would be no disasters. A disaster only occurs when the situation goes beyond the level of preparation, therefor you can never actually be prepared for a disaster because it's very definition is that it is a situation that is beyond your preparation.

My theory: It's only a disaster if you are not prepared. If there is enough preparation then there would be no disasters. A disaster only occurs when the situation goes beyond the level of preparation, therefor you can never actually be prepared for a disaster because it's very definition is that it is a situation that is beyond your preparation.

Were you really drunk, or really sober when you wrote that?

This is exactly what I posted in my second post up top.

How does one prepare for a disaster unless you prevent the disaster? Nobody was prepared for the disaster that Katrina caused. Even if they had prepared for Katrina, they would not have been prepared for the disaster of Katrina. If they were prepared to where Katrina didn't cause disaster, then they weren't prepared for disaster.....since no disaster happened (hypothetically). Same would be true in this case.

Being prepared for widespread disaster is not the same as preventing it. Being prepared means that you are able to handle and cope with the disaster when it does, in fact, happen. In my honest opinion, you can not truly be prepared for true disaster, you can only push through it and hope to sruvive it.

Pretty close hung.

Not a drop of anything.

The one thing I have always been good at is words. I could write a 10 page paper off the top of my head in a single sitting at 4am the night before it was due, with no legitimate references, not edit it, and still walk away with an A. Some people are good at math, some engines, and I happen to be good at writing even tho I hate it.

This guy looks like he'll be good at debating. One thing I cannot do is speaches. I have a phobia of being in front of groups of people. Hats off to him for doing what I cannot.

Archived