Hello all

bumpin88

There is something to be said for being able to understand what is coming out of your speakers. Sound quality is nice to have in addition to volume.

Properly powered JL will spank most out there. Most are underpowered, which is what happens when you blow your load on the speakers and can't push them enough cause you can't afford a big enough amp.

My old school setup: Alpine something or other head unit, pair of 10" MTX Black Gold, MTX 2150 Amp (back when JL didn't have a mainstream product). Custom 1cu/ft dual chamber box. Smaller speakers pushed to within an inch of their life by a vastly overpowered amp. The 150 was the RMS. Bridged mono it pushed close to 750. Speakers pounded so hard the bolts holding the box to the trunk floor ripped out. I couldn't listen to a cd in the player with the volume over 50% because of the skipping. Was hard to drive as you couldn't focus on the road.

There is something to be said for being able to understand what is coming out of your speakers. Sound quality is nice to have in addition to volume.

Properly powered JL will spank most out there. Most are underpowered, which is what happens when you blow your load on the speakers and can't push them enough cause you can't afford a big enough amp.

My old school setup: Alpine something or other head unit, pair of 10" MTX Black Gold, MTX 2150 Amp (back when JL didn't have a mainstream product). Custom 1cu/ft dual chamber box. Smaller speakers pushed to within an inch of their life by a vastly overpowered amp. The 150 was the RMS. Bridged mono it pushed close to 750. Speakers pounded so hard the bolts holding the box to the trunk floor ripped out. I couldn't listen to a cd in the player with the volume over 50% because of the skipping. Was hard to drive as you couldn't focus on the road.

Of course the installs make 90% of the overall outcome of sound and pressure from the sub.

Point is, that there are a TON of companies out there that can get you equal or better performance for less then JL offers their equipment for. W7 SQ is trash too. . the subs get loud, ill give them that, but they are notoriously known for the awful 'flutter' the cone gives off. Its a design flaw.

When the old W6 series came out, they was among the elite sub due to the technology in the design, they was almost untouchable by other high end companies. But that day is long gone. With Xbl2 technology that alot of very well respected independent companies are using these days coupled with lighter cone material and more efficient motor engineering, there are more then a handful of subs out there that will hand JL its ass in terms of performance. The beauty is, it costs less to do so.

Of course the installs make 90% of the overall outcome of sound and pressure from the sub.

Point is, that there are a TON of companies out there that can get you equal or better performance for less then JL offers their equipment for. W7 SQ is trash too. . the subs get loud, ill give them that, but they are notoriously known for the awful 'flutter' the cone gives off. Its a design flaw.

When the old W6 series came out, they was among the elite sub due to the technology in the design, they was almost untouchable by other high end companies. But that day is long gone. With Xbl2 technology that alot of very well respected independent companies are using these days coupled with lighter cone material and more efficient motor engineering, there are more then a handful of subs out there that will hand JL its ass in terms of performance. The beauty is, it costs less to do so.

So then what other subs would you suggest that are equal to or better than JLs with a lower price tag?

So then what other subs would you suggest that are equal to or better than JLs with a lower price tag?

Resonant Engineering

Image Dynamics

Stereo Integrity

Digital Designs

Audioque

Elemental Designs

Alumpro

Massive Audio

Adire Audio Brahma

Treo

Bostwick DHL (as far as SPL anyways)

Assassin Audio

Better Audio

Incriminator Audio

Ascendant Audio

CDT Audio

Just to list a few companies. if your looking for specifics on subs you will just have to visit company sites and do research on the reviews and bench tests. Every company i mentioned has subs that perform just as good if not better in the respective sub class.

Rockford Fosgate makes some damn good subs.

They are relatively cheap for how good they are.

they get decently loud and are affordable.

RF has one drawback now. Since they have started mass producing equipment to get their lineups in Chain Stores, their build quality has suffered a bit. They are nowhere as reliable or rigid as the old school subs and amps that where hand crafted and bench tested before delivery.

Team Smokes are still one of the nastiest subs around though, but good luck getting one.

Yea, agreed.

Since when is Lightning Audio a division of RF?

They have always been a division of RF. And to be honest, its one very over looked company. Yea, the Bolt series sucks. . the fact they actually came out with a TFATF launch. . even more ridiculous. But the Strike series is actually really decent entry level equipment, and the Storm series is VERY nice and can be found for cheap with a little shopping around.

Yea, I have heard mixed feeling about Lightning Audio.

What are you feelings about Kenwood?

I like Kenwood HU's. Problem in their lineup is alot of the head units only have 2.5 volt preouts or lower on most models and you almost have to run out and get signal line drivers to bump that up when using heavier amps. But the functionality and features are usually pretty nice. . especially on the Exeleon units

as far as subs and amps. . pretty worthless IMO. Alpine is really the only mainstream company i can think of that makes subs that are worth a damn. I personally wouldnt buy amps from any of the mainstream companies. (alpine, kenwood, pioneer etc)

That's weird. I love my kenwood subs. They were the first subs I ever got and I still have them. I think they hit pretty good for their price and the fact that they are kenwoods.

For my next set of subs, I am going to look into some of the underground companies you listed.

That's weird. I love my kenwood subs. They were the first subs I ever got and I still have them. I think they hit pretty good for their price and the fact that they are kenwoods.

For my next set of subs, I am going to look into some of the underground companies you listed.

The thing is that there is always better out there. I used to like the old Kenwood Tornadoes and DB's. They just wouldnt be my first choice of subs.

Resonant Engineering

Image Dynamics

Stereo Integrity

Digital Designs

Audioque

Elemental Designs

Alumpro

Massive Audio

Adire Audio Brahma

Treo

Bostwick DHL (as far as SPL anyways)

Assassin Audio

Better Audio

Incriminator Audio

Ascendant Audio

CDT Audio

Just to list a few companies. if your looking for specifics on subs you will just have to visit company sites and do research on the reviews and bench tests. Every company i mentioned has subs that perform just as good if not better in the respective sub class.

if theyre so good, how come none of them are mainstream? (not sounding like an ass, but it may seem like it)

if theyre so good, how come none of them are mainstream? (not sounding like an ass, but it may seem like it)

Alot of the mainstream products you see, such as those at Best Buy 'n all are for the average consumer who just want some thump. These brands mentioned also are highly underrated. If you notice, even some brands like Kicker, Eclipse, and Rockford wont put their high end stuff in those stores. How many times have you seen a Solo X woofer there? Though these companies may not be as big, they focus on quality and some may have a big price tag attached, while others are very reasonably priced, but you can be guaranteed that the quality and performance will outlast the mainstream stuff, generally. Also, most people only know of the mainstream brands, they go with what their friends tell them to go with and would rather spend money on what they know over what they dont know.

looks like Don pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Also remember alot of these companies are made by TRUE car audio enthousiast. Not all of them are really in it to grow rich over night.

Archived