The New Audio Set-Up

You seem like you know your stuff so i have a question... I am looking to add more bass to my car (a 99 accord sedan ex) and i figgure i will just add either 2 ten in or 2 12 in subs in the trunk. I am planning on getting a new head unit as i have heard that that greatly improves the sound. Would you suggest that i replace the stock speakers throughout the car as well because i think that they sound good?

I have an '01 accord sedan so its the same body as your '99. I say go at least 2 12's. If you can drop in a 15, which you can, go for it. The only issue with the 15 is that you will have to have it firing up because of some stupid clearance issue, just make sure that you have enough clearance so when sub moves, the surround doesnt touch anythin.

If you install an aftermarket HU, it really depends on the speakers you are going to put in if you want to replace the stock speakers. Personally, I have Boston Z6 mids. They handle the bass a bit better but as far as loudness goes, they are about the same as the stock speakers. If I had an amp to them then this wouldnt be true. So if you do get some new speakers, you may be needing an amp to get the full potential out of it. Don't even bother with the rear speakers, your front stage is more important. If you want get some components and definitely have an amp on them.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
agree with everything there except the ported/sealed thing. it doesnt give more bass, ported has a more of a BOOM to it, whereas sealed will give you a clean hitting sound

Why does everyone say this???? Ported = more BOOM, sealed = cleaner...Thats complete BS. A well made and properly tuned ported enclosure will sound and hit harder than a sealed enclosure.

Or maybe you used a POS sub, or POS enclosure. You can just build an enclosure and make the port a certain width and length. There is math to that and it involves the subs T/S parameters. If you ask any true audiophile they will tell you straight out, point blank that a sealed enclosure having more SQ is a myth and definitely not true. It's all in the system design, the tuning frequency of the port, what frequencies the sub is best made to handle and other such variables.

yeah i know that im not retarded. ive built several boxes and i know each sub has certain specs. and yeah JL and Alpine are POS i guess. overall, without getting into competitions and crapt, sealed subs are cleaner bass, and ported have more of a boom

Never said JL or Alpine was POS..but that sony you have is :)

Just because you've built several enclosures doesnt mean your good. Its like sayin you played a particular sport for X amount of years, but does that mean youre good at the sport? Not necessarily.

I'd like to see how you can prove that sealed sounds cleaner with actual facts, not by saying "it just does".

Quick example as well. I used to have 2 MTX 10" 4000 woofers in a 10" sealed box, also had 2 10" Infinity Reference 1030w's in a sealed box box. I now have a DD 9515d in a ported box and I can tell you without a doubt the DD gets LOUD and sounds muuuuuuuch better.

yeah i know sony subs arnt the best. i bought them 4 years ago with the amp for 200, so it was a deal. i never said i was good at building them, i said i had experience doing it, so its not like im just some random guy. im not gonna argue with you and start this retarded forum drama, because i can tell you know your crap, but its not that hard to prove, you just listen. im sure if you spend money and build to exact specs and whatnot, then yeah your right. but for people on these forums, who buy subs just to bump around in, that case holds true for sealed vs ported

Quick example as well. I used to have 2 MTX 10" 4000 woofers in a 10" sealed box, also had 2 10" Infinity Reference 1030w's in a sealed box box. I now have a DD 9515d in a ported box and I can tell you without a doubt the DD gets LOUD and sounds muuuuuuuch better.

im not really a fan of mtx, but ive heard of DD before. havnt heard the actual sub, but the name. from what ive heard is they hit pretty loud. im thinking of making a fiberglass box for my trunk to save some space. either keep the subs i have, or get a good single sub. what would you suggest as far as a good sub, for a reasonable price. i dont want to spend too much on this, because im perfectly fine with what i have, just lookin to switch it up a bit

I'll just leave it as is. It doesnt make sense when you say that you agree that ported sounds better sealed but for most people here that are looking just for some bass sealed sounds cleaner. Maybe the problem is buying the prefab enclosures since those are made just for the size of a woofer and not the specs of a woofer. You can easily have a shop build an enclosure and be much more satisfied...that is if that shop knows what theyre doing, some are just idiots and think just because they own particular brands they know everything.

im not really a fan of mtx, but ive heard of DD before. havnt heard the actual sub, but the name. from what ive heard is they hit pretty loud. im thinking of making a fiberglass box for my trunk to save some space. either keep the subs i have, or get a good single sub. what would you suggest as far as a good sub, for a reasonable price. i dont want to spend too much on this, because im perfectly fine with what i have, just lookin to switch it up a bit

Yeah I thought my MTX's were bad ass, but they were poop. How much are you willing to spend on just the sub? Are you wanting new or used. Does it matter from where, for example a car audio forum, ebay, a shop, best buy/circuit city. Do you want something that is more SQ oriented or a balance of both SQ and SPL?

wait, is Don Pisto saying my Sony Headunit is a POS?

that thing puts out better sound than I've ever heard from an aftermarket head unit, and better than my dad's Infinity system in his 300M, or even my buddies old RSX w/ the Bose system.....i love it.

Anything car audio related made by sony is a POS. Except for maybe their older decks which were pre 2000, those were decent. And of course the one from the early 90's which retailed for a grand or so, but if you want a true quality deck, I'd take JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer, Panasonic, Alpine over Sony. If you want real quality decks, check into McIntosh, Denon, Nakamichi. I have an Eclipse 8443 and I'll put my life on the table against any of the sony decks, except for that oldschool one i mentioned and I guarantee you that its got more tuning capabilities and much cleaner output. Only drawback is that it doesnt play mp3 CD's but the new ones are capable of that or I would be able to if I got the E-COM unit which has functions such as gps, voice activated electronics, etc.

ok....well i've looked at all the Eclipse decks, and yeah, they're nice, but for the most part they're way over-priced and the sound they put out it fairly good.

JVC is crap, i have a $500 JVC system in my room and the cd changer decided to stop working after 6 months.

Kenwood high-end and Pioneer Gold stuff is good, but once again, way pricey.

Panosonic sucks 100%, their sound is muffled, too bassy, and there's no mids or highs coming out of their crap they call headunits.

Alpine is good, but I chose Sony over them b/c of the features and looks.

I guarentee my sony puts out amazing sound, any of my buddies on here would agree with that b/c they've all heard it plenty of times.

ok....well i've looked at all the Eclipse decks, and yeah, they're nice, but for the most part they're way over-priced and the sound they put out it fairly good.

JVC is crap, i have a $500 JVC system in my room and the cd changer decided to stop working after 6 months.

Panosonic sucks 100%, their sound is muffled, too bassy, and there's no mids or highs coming out of their crap they call headunits.

I guarentee my sony puts out amazing sound, any of my buddies on here would agree with that b/c they've all heard it plenty of times.

on the contrary Panasonic makes some of the best decks out there.

Im not a fan of JVC but i wouldnt compare a bookshelf radio to a headunit. Lets be reasonable here. If i judged sony based on the quality of the PS2 (which i went through 3 of them in a 1 year span) I guess we would have to argue that Sony is crap.

Xceleon and Premeir decks are actually not that expensive if you just shop it right

exclipse has great SQ, my only gripe is they are not user freindly at all, same with Nakamichi

Alpine, durable- reliable. . .

And Don Pisto is referring to the old Sony Mobile ES lines. Still used in tons of SQ vehicles to this day and was just absolutely awesome for their time. But to be brutally honest. Sony might satisfy entry level bass heads but it will be rare to find anyone serious about sound that rocks a sony anything in their car.

Home audio and car audio are two different things. You cant compare a JVC deck to a JVC stereo in your room. I'd like you to tell LLoyd, also known as bigbassman on several car audio forums, that Panasonic sucks. Maybe its not the decks,maybe its the equipment. Maybe it was the particular deck you used. If you go to elitecaraudio.com and ask them what they think of sony head units you will find alot more people disagreeing with you. Or go to caraudio.com/forum as well and see what they say. The people on elitecaraudio have several true audiophiles. Also, the head unit is not what puts out sound. Its a source unit that is connected to other devices and its the speakers that puts out the sound, so maybe its your speakers. I have owned a Panasonic deck from '01 and it was pretty good. Easy to use but the Eclipe is way better. You can easily find a used one in great condition for 200-250 bucks, thats a very reasonable price for an HU.

on the contrary Panasonic makes some of the best decks out there.

Im not a fan of JVC but i wouldnt compare a bookshelf radio to a headunit. Lets be reasonable here. If i judged sony based on the quality of the PS2 (which i went through 3 of them in a 1 year span) I guess we would have to argue that Sony is crap.

Xceleon and Premeir decks are actually not that expensive if you just shop it right

exclipse has great SQ, my only gripe is they are not user freindly at all, same with Nakamichi

Alpine, durable- reliable. . .

And Don Pisto is referring to the old Sony Mobile ES lines. Still used in tons of SQ vehicles to this day and was just absolutely awesome for their time. But to be brutally honest. Sony might satisfy entry level bass heads but it will be rare to find anyone serious about sound that rocks a sony anything in their car.

Well put. I find the Eclipse 8443, only eclipse deck ive used, to be quite user friendly. It just takes a couple days to get used to, and some of the functions you'll have to have some knowledge as to what they do or have someone tune it for ya.

Home audio and car audio are two different things. You cant compare a JVC deck to a JVC stereo in your room. I'd like you to tell LLoyd, also known as bigbassman on several car audio forums, that Panasonic sucks.

Lloyd defiantly knows his stuff. Hes actually the one that gave me the blueprints to my enclosure design.

Well put. I find the Eclipse 8443, only eclipse deck ive used, to be quite user friendly. It just takes a couple days to get used to, and some of the functions you'll have to have some knowledge as to what they do or have someone tune it for ya.

yea, I think them decks just intimidate some people. . Trust me, im not a stickler on the user interface. If i was I wouldnt have bought my Pioneer AVIC N2.

but i just always found that when comparing most decks in their respectable class. . . eclipse and nakimichi has been the hardest to grasp out of all the other companies

yea, I think them decks just intimidate some people. . Trust me, im not a stickler on the user interface. If i was I wouldnt have bought my Pioneer AVIC N2.

but i just always found that when comparing most decks in their respectable class. . . eclipse and nakimichi has been the hardest to grasp out of all the other companies

I heard the Eclipse in dash navi units are not quite as savvy as their regular decks. My buddy just sold his kenwood indash, forgot which model, but it was an '04 for super cheap, i think 300. I really would like a double din navi unit cos it looks nice, but theyre harder to find, especially at a low price.

I heard the Eclipse in dash navi units are not quite as savvy as their regular decks. My buddy just sold his kenwood indash, forgot which model, but it was an '04 for super cheap, i think 300. I really would like a double din navi unit cos it looks nice, but theyre harder to find, especially at a low price.

yea man, they are definitely pricey. I got my N2 for 1600.00 and that was pretty damn cheap in its day. My cousin has the D1 i think it is? (the double din one) in his STi, looks nice but costs even more then my N2

You have to take into account that pretty much all of the people here aren't big into the whole car audio scene.

We just like to roll to some tunes.

Understandable, buts its not right to say sony makes some of better sounding decks. But even for that money you can get a lower level Premier deck from Pioneer or a Clarion deck and get much more out of it.

I'm not saying Sony is the best, but the one pictured was the right price and has a lot of nice features. If I had a Scion xB or something to make a real nice system out of, I wouldn't use Sony, but that's not what I'm here for. I just wanted a decent system to get me through my hour drive to school everyday...

Archived