GSR Del Sol?

I'm new to all of this and am trying to plan a build. I want to build a Del Sol. I really want an unmolested '95 VTEC, but they are very hard to find. So, here are my questions. If I decided to go with a swap, how much work would it be to upgrade the suspension and brakes on an S model if I found one really cheap? Would it be much much better to go with an Si? And the big one; opinions on the best engine to swap in. The GSR seems to be the most popular. That's a 1.8L DOHC VTEC, right? From the popularity I am assuming this engine holds up well and has a lot of aftermarket support, true? I am planning a massive engine build, so I'm looking more for a buildable engine; and stock HP doesn't really matter. Also, how tough is this swap? Are mounts and the like readily available? Would I need to get the motor and tranny or would the 1.5/1.6 manual match up and perform properly with the GSR engine? Also, do I need the ECM, or can I just reprogram the OBD1 module that will be in a '95 Sol? THANKS!

Just wanted to add a new quick question. I was just looking at GSR motors online. What do they mean when they say "hydraulic tranny", certainly it's not an automatic?! And what's with the "LSD" transmission? Also, what was the last year for OBD1 on the GSR, 1995? Thanks!

i personally like the gsr motor. there are a few people on here that think its too common. so in my opinion, swap in an h22. thats a nice motor with a decent amount of torque, and hey, its 200hp right away. you dont have to really do anything to the suspension for the swap. if you get a gsr motor, use the ecu that comes with it. depending on the year of the motor compared to the year of your car, you might need a conversion harness or not. it doesnt matter what sol you get if youre swapping in a new motor anyway. hell, just look for a shell, one with no motor and use that as your project car. if you get one with a motor, sell the motor and use the money for parts. hydralic tranny just means that the clutch uses fluid instead of a cable. its either or. lsd tranny is a good thing. if you can find an lsd tranny youre good to go. it means limited slip differential, meaning that when you slam on the gas, both front tires will spin instead of just one, as in normal transmissions. also, if you get a b-series motor, you need a b-series tranny. and h-series motor with an h-series tranny, ect. hondas and acuras are like kinex, just not on that level. most of the parts are interchangable.

Yeah, pretty much what he said. The Sol uses a hydro tranny, so get that. And If you are shooting for high horsepower, get the LSD tranny for $300 more.

I was really just looking at the suspension as far as performance upgrades. I didn't think I had to do it to match the engine. But I asked those questions more in the suspension forum. I have read where some people say that tha H22 is a harder swap due to things like availability of mounts. I have also heard it said that parts aren't as common and cost more than GSR parts. I do know what limited slip is, I'm just used to building rear wheel drive cars and forgot about the differential being part of the transaxle. And it didn't occur to me that "hydro" transmission just ment that it used a hydraulic clutch. So if I use a '95 car and a '94-'95 engine I will be able to use the vehicles existing harness? If so, that makes everything a lot simpler! So, do you guys agree that the GSR has better availability on parts? Thanks for the help!

yes, you will be able to use the same harness if its a same generation car and motor. the gsr has tons of parts out for it. but all the parts you would need, the h22 has them as well. for instance, i had a bunch of skunk2 upgrades for my gsr, they have the same stuff for the h22. go to skunk2.com pick yourself up an intake manifold, and 67mm throttle body, and then buy a cold air intake, and you have a very decent boost in horsepower. you can buy a DC header, get a custom exhaust and youre good to go man. the h22 is a cheaper motor to buy. and if you need mounts. go to this website. http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/hasport/mounts.html

B18C1 - that's a '94-'95 US GSR, right? (1.8L DOHC VTEC?)

So, how about a B18C1 with: T04 tubo - 20psi

hydraulic LSD tranny

P72 ECU

Hondata s300

resleeve

new piston/rod assemblies

new valves/springs

custom cam

oversized throttle body (size?)

new fuel pump/pressure regulator/rail/injectors

3" exhaust

stage 3 clutch

Did I forget anything?

Where do I get halfshafts that won't explode with all this stuff?

the b18c1 is a gsr. the lsd tranny is a must. get one. i say go for the t03/04 turbo hybrid, faster spool times, about the same power. you will be happy with 14 psi, it will double the horsepower with just that. get a 66mm throttle body, its what i had and it worked like magic. a stage 1 or stage 2 clutch would be enough, you dont need a stage 3. 3" exhaust is ok. youre going to want low compression pistons for the turbo. get a p28 ecu and have it chipped instead of the p72. get some turbo cams, try skunk2. i dont know about the halfshafts, do a google search. dont forget a boost controller, preferably an electronic one so you dont have to pop your hood everytime.

The reason I said the P72 is info I got from the Hondata website. It said that you had to have a P72 to retain functionallity of the butterfly adjustable intake runners with an s300 controler.Why do you suggest the P28 over the P72? Thanks!

if you get a skunk2 intake manifold then you dont have to worry about the runners, cuz they disappear with the new manifold. trust me, its a good thing. then you get the p28 ecu.

Archived