'93 SI Vtec?

les.delancy

I found a car and I would like some input.

The ad says it is a '93 SI Vtec.

It says it has a 1.6L VTEC SOHC, can that be right? I thought the 1.6 VTECs were all DOHC.

Also, it says 4 wheel disc, but doesn't mention ABS. Should this car have ABS?

And it lists an automatic tranny, I thought all VTECs were manuals.

The VIN is JHMEH6266PS002383.

Is this really a SOHC, and if so is the engine worth the effort?

Any info and advise you could give would be much appreciated!!!! THANKS!!

Yes, it is SOHC VTEC. It is a d16z6, which is what the 93-95 Civic and del Sol Si's came with.

Si models were available in automatic. The VTEC model (which is the DOHC VTEC) didn't start until 94, only came in manual.

The 4 wheel disc is correct, and no, it would not have ABS.

I have a '93 Si automatic and am quite happy with it. The D16Z6 motor has 125 hp vs the DOHC B16 that has 160 hp. The DOHC vtec came standard with ABS.

The Si will "get up and go" but with an automatic you're at a disadvantage. I suggest you take it for a test drive and see if you like it. If you want more power out of it there are plenty of posts in these forums that talk about installing a header, better exhaust systems and intakes.

How many miles are on the car?...What's the asking price?

I guess what I'm really wondering is if the engine can be built to the power level that I'm after (400-500HP). And also if the tranny can be built to handle it. The asking price is 3800, but I'm pretty sure I can get it for around 2500. It has 183,000mi, but I'm planning a complete teardown anyway. I can't go drive it, I am currently in Baghdad. If I decide to go get it, I will send my wife to pick it up. Thanks!

they're asking 3800 for an si with 183k miles!?! you can find a much better platform for that amount.

If I decide to get it, I'm going to start by offering 1500. I won't pay over 2500. I know I can work the price down, the guy seems pretty desperate to get rid of it. From what I can see the body and interior looks great! But, if that's rediculous then I will look else where.

hey I found the car you're trying to buy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ciivic-Del-...1QQcmdZViewItem

edit: damn! for having that many miles, it looks pretty good. I dont care for the color, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.

I love the color! It's so obnoxious (I dig obnoxious)!!! I can already see it with a carbon fiber hood and trunk, lambo doors, a body kit, and 17" 12 spoke black wheels. I went ahead and bid 2,500. That's my max for that car! Do you know if anyone makes a carbon fiber targa for the Del Sol? That is my favorite factory color for the Del Sol, that's what attracted me!

Uhg... I hate it when I type a long reply and then it disapears when I hit "post"...

Basically I was saying that I know because I use to hate imports and import enthusiasts (in my racing days). It will really boil down to what she likes anyway. How about that CF targa?

My first reply has a lot more substance, but I'm not re-typing all that!

Uhg... I hate it when I type a long reply and then it disapears when I hit "post"...

Basically I was saying that I know because I use to hate imports and import enthusiasts (in my racing days). It will really boil down to what she likes anyway. How about that CF targa?

My first reply has a lot more substance, but I'm not re-typing all that!

You probably won't be able to find a carbon fiber targa, you'd need to have one custom made or have the existing one wrapped if that's what you wanted. There was word a few years back about them, but if they did ever get made, it was in extremely limited quantities.

If you're just going to rice it out, you may as well just waste an S model instead of an Si or VTEC model.

lol. I think you can find the top panel in cf, but you need to put the hardware from the targa on it. otherwise you can get a glass one from ameripol.

The Ameripol tops are not glass.

Unless you find either one used, you'll be looking to add your own hardware to it.

I saw plenty of carbon fiber targa tops for the del sol when I had mine. They may not make them anymore (I don't know for sure), but it shouldn't be too hard to find one. It doesn't save much weight though since the majority of the weight is in the hardware that holds the top down.

They sell CF targa tops on GroundDynamics.com (a good body kit site if you're into obnoxious flash sites as well as obnoxious kits). Their prices and selection are normally pretty good but that particular item is 715 bucks. Pay 600 and get the Ameripol....

oh no, you want to put a body kit on it? and lambo doors? thats the kinda stuff that makes the domestic owners hate import owners, just fyi.

One thing though. I improperly used the term "body kit" All I want is a small front and rear lip and subtle side skirts. Just enough to make it hug the ground a little more and slighly improve aerodynamics. I did a search for "body kits" and you are right, those "wide body" kits and a lot of those big body kits are horrible! Sorry though, I still dig the 90deg doors. All a want for a wing is one like yours, maybe just a tiny bit taller and possibly CF. You seem to be pretty well anti-CF, but I think that when it's done tastefully it can be absolutely sexy!! Subtle lips and skirts with CF hood, trunk, targa, and spoiler, and split 5 or split 6 grey 17" wheels would look great!

Archived