Headlights

SIR_VTEC

Alrighty as most of you know i have a 94 Teg, and well its coming to the point where im getting a little residue on the headlights, ya know that grimey crap that makes the head light look dirty or so, anyway it just started and well i dont want to get worse, what do I do to take that out? Buff it out? I tried glass cleaner...doesnt work, so wanted to know what are your suggestions? I heard Lemon juice works too, but yea let me know what you guys think.

You can sand them down to get rid of it. Just wetsand with 1000 grit, then 1500 grit, then 2000 grit and then polish them with either Meg's Scratch X or Meguiars #9 and use a good bit of pressure with either one. Or if you have the right tools then the polishing steps I used on would be good after you wetsand them. Oh also, each step of sanding should remove the previous steps scratches. You'll end up with a semi-dull finish and the polish will bring back the shine. I just did this to my wifes car a few weeks ago and it worked like a charm.

yeah like hung says , if its minute scratches all over them thats making them look crapty than do what he says. if its just sticky road grime inside and out , soak them in thinner and clean the lens with BUG&TAR remover(good stuff , makes tar melt away). if its just on the outside , than just bug and tar it.

Also (I've not used it yet) but Plast-X is suppossed to be amazing and I've heard of that product alone clearing up headlights....actually I've seen some pretty amazing pictures before of Plast-X in use. From what I understand the Plast-X is basically a mildly abbrasive polish for plastics.

If they've just got a thin layer of film on them then clay will work, if it's thicker and yellowing, you'll probably have to wetsand them.

If you seal/wax them when you do your car then you'll never have this problem. My headlights look brand new and all that's ever done is wax/sealant when I do the car. Not bad for 7 years old.

Well my car is 12 years old, theres no yellowing and just a little dullness, not much just very little but I dont want it to be worse ya know....but yea I will try the clay then I will seal with wax....what kind of wax should I use to seal it Hung?

If you're going with over the counter products, I'd suggest NXT. NXT is actaully a sealant even though it's labeled as a wax. If you're willing to order online, then I'd suggest Meguiars M21. The same products that are good for sealing your car are good for the plastics too. If you get NXT, get the paste because it has better durability than the liquid.

• 1 year later...
Well my car is 12 years old, theres no yellowing and just a little dullness, not much just very little but I dont want it to be worse ya know....but yea I will try the clay then I will seal with wax....what kind of wax should I use to seal it Hung?

let me know if any of that works. like mine, yours might be so pitted that it is just time for new ones

Archived