Super newb needs engine help

del Slow

Hi there,

I did some quick scanning on google, found your site, and registered.

I hope I recieve lotsw of help, and later, can help others after I know more.

Okay, the background, I am a mustang guy. Love RWD, and tq. I dont have one anymore, I have a 04 f150 lariat supercrew, a 97 z28, and a 93 del sol s.

The del sol was the first car I ever bought. I bought it late in nov. 94 as a demo model with 500miles on it. I sold it to my mom 6 months later because I couldnt afford the payments.

She had it until recently, when I purchased it back.

She performed oilchanges, filter changes, and thats about it. The car has 70k miles on it now.

She didnt look at the timing belt, and I didnt think of it either until now.

On friday, I was driving the car after I put in new plugs and wires, as the originals were still in and I wanted better gas milage and better power, it is pretty doggy.

So im driving, car dies in gear, i roll for a few meters, depress the clutch and stop. I was on a hill so I started rolling again, got to 20mph, let out the clutch in gear, hoping to "rolling start" it. Didnt work. Got the car home, had a look. Distirbutor isnt turning. Assumed distributor failure. Couple days pass, Im busy, and dont have time to look at it. Then I think Timing belt. so get to the car, have it cranked over, crank pully turns, removed oil fill cap, cams not moving. Problem with the timing belt for sure.

Now, first, is this an interferce engine, where the valves will colide with the pistions if valves not working? If it isnt, then Ill just change the timing belt, if it is, Im looking for a new engine.

Now, this is where I need some help.

102hp is doggy. I know it gets good economy, but its slow.

If im changing the engine, I may as well change it to something with more power, provided its not too difficult.

so, what engines are good to go in? From what I have read, the "b" series are the easiest swap. I dont know what the codes are, what year to go after, what they are rated for hp/tq, and if there are major differeneces in installs for engines of various years and codes.

Any help will be appricated. I know this has probably been gone over before, and if you have links to threads, I will gladly read them.

thx again.

As far as I know it is an interference engine.

D to D would be the easiest swap. A B would bolt right in as far as I know but you just need to make a dent in the engine bay for the alternator. H and K would give you the greatest power but those take a lot of modification and fab work.

As far as I know it is an interference engine.

D to D would be the easiest swap. A B would bolt right in as far as I know but you just need to make a dent in the engine bay for the alternator. H and K would give you the greatest power but those take a lot of modification and fab work.

I have seen d's are the cheapest as well.

if a person went with a b, do you know if the shift linkage and c.v's etc need to be changed? I know you said as far as you know, but gotta ask...

btw, thanks for the reply.

Paul

you don't need to dent the engine bay to fit the alternater. I have a b16 in mine, and it's stock, so it has to bolt in without modification. you will need a new tranny. if you get a b18c1 (gsr motor from an integra) then try to get a gsr tranny too, the ls tranny will have longer gears and make your car slower.

I was told the b16 tranny was stronger than the b18 tranny and to use that w/ the b18 swap.

ive heard that too. i will add my two cents, since you said your into american etc etc, and you just looking to go faster with the sol than you are, but have no intentions of like actually modding it extensively. you should go b16a. swap will cost about 3000 at a tune shop and itl give you 165 hp. thats going to be your cheapest swap worth doing. but there are many engines and combos that you can do to achieve greater hp, but for more money of course.

only 88-91 civic need that dent for alt room. not that the B16 tranny is stronger , its just geared better for accel. best swap for the buck you could do is definitely a B16A. bolt right in with the right mounts. and its 160 horse at the crank , not 165. JDM model B16A has 170 at the crank. if you got no money and need it back on the road for transportation than throw a D back in it. get yourself a D16Z6. if you got a couple extra bucks than throw a B16 in it.

money isnt the biggest issue here, but of course, i would want to do it for as little as possible.

I found this site,

http://www.superhonda.com/tech/honda_engine_codes.html

and often i see on ebay at least the engines are 92-95, and then 96-00. I see they have different codes, but is there much of a difference in the install?

If I go to a b16, with 160-170hp I know there will be a signifigant improvment in performance over my 102, but what kind of times am I looking at? Mostly just curious, this car is a daily driver, and I love it because it gets massive milage w/o being a tdi jetta. If the perf improvement is only .5s 0-60, id just go with a d engine, but if its better than 1s, then I want to do the swap

Paul

only 88-91 civic need that dent for alt room. not that the B16 tranny is stronger , its just geared better for accel. best swap for the buck you could do is definitely a B16A. bolt right in with the right mounts. and its 160 horse at the crank , not 165. JDM model B16A has 170 at the crank. if you got no money and need it back on the road for transportation than throw a D back in it. get yourself a D16Z6. if you got a couple extra bucks than throw a B16 in it.

i thought it was 170 for the b16a but wasnt sure, i just knew that jdm motors usually have about 5 or so more hp than usdm. but yah, crannys totally right, you can totally buy a jdm z6 for like 4 or 500 bucks and have a shop put it in, and for the price of the motor and installation youd be in less than a grand. i am curious as to why j series motors arent that popular. like the J32A2, it comes in the acura 3.2 cl type-s. its 260hp v6 sohc vtec.

D16Z6 would gain more power. someone correct me if im wrong but i think its about 135HP at the crank. a D16Y8 would be good but has less torque. a D16A6 would be good too but doesnt have Vtec. even a ZC since you arent looking to modify it too much, atleast thats the impression i get. depending on the type of ZC you get (single cam/dual cam/Vtec/non-Vtec) they range from 127-140 HP.

any of these are the cheapest and easiest swaps for more power.

sonnyjc3 - its a V6 thats y its not popular, if your gona try that you might as well go for the C32B, it comes in the NSX :D

why do you hate on the b16b solles? it's a nice motor. sure, if you put the same amount of money into building a b16a or a D, you could make it just as good if not much better. but i like it, at least i'm not like everyone else who just swaps an si motor into their civic. it's rare, i still think i'm the only one with that motor on hf. but everyone's entitled to their opinions and i respect that

i understand. my buddy has a turbo gsr, and the vtec is so dramatically different in our motors. his is really smooth, you can barely notice the crossover...but mine is just insanely loud at vtec. i understand what you're saying though for practical reasons. ctr is high everything...compression, vtec engagement, redline...that's why i like it. it's definitely not slow, but like you said, for the money it cost it should be faster. i'll agree on that

well, from what I have read, i think i like the 92-95 b16a best...price doesnt seem to bad for the improvment.

Now, the pricing I have looked at has all been on ebay. I live in canada, and would like to know if you know of any reputable ebay sellers or dealers us or cdn that I should check out.

Dont really wanna get burned, kinda scared when it comes to stuff like that.

Also, are there any threads/websites that have very detailed information on a swap. I would probably do it myself, as mods here are really unheard of, and anyone that tries to do it usually charges a million dollars and hacks crap up. I trust myself with this project.

btw, all the help is appricated, and I like the arguements on the engines, brings up points that I know nothing about.

P

damn. thats a good setup. just for the lsd insert for mine its like $600. sucks.

is that a good price though?

are most of those swaps have the wiring harness hacked? I emailed them and asked, no response yet. I hate hacked, it looks soo....oh....hacked

Archived