sub location

i've got a 10" sub. right now its in my trunk in a basic square box from bestbuy. the damn thing takes up too much room though and sticks out too much. the sub directions say it requires 1.5 to 2 cubic feet. if i make my own elcosure where would be a good place to install it that outa the way? i was thinking about under the middler reaer seat, but i dunno what under there. any suggestions? its a 99 civic ex coupe, and i need the cargo space.

1st rule of thumb when dealing with sound is to use the recommended enclosure dimension of the subwoofer that the company recommends. As far as the box taking up space, sealed box usually is smaller than ported. of course between the two boxes, they both will sound different. ported box is more "boomy" and sealed is a more tighter bass. it depends on the kind of music you listen to as well.

in regards to the direction, since your car is a coupe, i would recommend having it face towards the trunk lid (the logo of the sub facing the trunk lid) but thats just me.

yeah i listen alot of stuff but mostly rock and rap, i'c prefer it to sound good for rock so i got a sealed box but its perfectly suqare and doesn't really fit anywhere well in my car. what about those angled sub boxes that normaly go in the cab of a pickup truck? how would that sound in a car? my whole point is that i'm pretty limited on space, i need to be able to transport stuff to and from college.

damn i can't find my digital camera but its the standard 99 civic ex trunk. the sub is just a 10" sub and i think its only like 5"-6" deep. the box i got was a premaid box from cicuit city. the directions with the sub say a 1.5-2 cubic foot enclosure. if i made my own box would it be possible to maybe bolt it all the the inside bottom of the rear deck between the rear speakers with the sub facing down? i gues theoretically i could make any shape box i want but would it be safe to mount it there?

aren't the rear 6x9's meant for low frequency sounds anyway, so couldn't i just mount 2 subs in those speaker holes, with some fabbing of course, that would make wiring it up pretty damn easy too, just use the factory wires. it would look pretty sweet to have 2 subs right by the window to show off. although they would prolly get stollen out here or break the window, too bad this ins't a perfect world

aren't the rear 6x9's meant for low frequency sounds anyway, so couldn't i just mount 2 subs in those speaker holes, with some fabbing of course, that would make wiring it up pretty damn easy too, just use the factory wires. it would look pretty sweet to have 2 subs right by the window to show off. although they would prolly get stollen out here or break the window, too bad this ins't a perfect world

i dont think that would work replacing the 6x9's with subs because you need much bigger wires for subs than speakers and you would still have to wire for amps.

i guess you could mount it on the bottom of the deck lid, but i wouldnt trust it. plus i dont think it would sound that great.

Archived